Friday, September 27, 2013

...mistake...

"Don't get the wrong impression, okay? I'm only calling to ask you a favor. As a friend."

 I could practically hear Simon preening at my "implied" words, which definitely weren't there. "Peacock," I muttered under my breath.

 "What was that?"

 "Nothing. Listen, you're a drama nut, right?" In more ways than one.

 "Um, yeah, I guess you could say that." He was obviously confused, but I didn't have the time or the desire to explain. Aunt Jade would be showing up in 10 minutes or less, and if she saw me like...this, she would flip. 

My aunt will probably cause the end of the world by flipping out.

 "Do you have a wig or something I could borrow. Like, something less..." Bright? 

Cheery? Rebellious?

Red? 

He laughed, and the line cracked angrily.  "Sammy, have you seen your hair lately?"

"Um...yes?" Too often for my taste lately.

"You're, like, Rapunzel, girl. No wig I own will fit over that mass easily."

For one second, I thought about shouting at him for calling my hair a 'mass', like it was a tumor or something, but then I heard a car door slam shut outside, and I went unto ultimate panic mode.
"Oh. Well. Sorry to bother you, then. Bye." I hung up before he could gulp out his next syllable.

I stared at frantically at the orderly kitchen around me. What should I do? What could I do? It was obvious I couldn't hide it like I had originally planned, but I had to do something. Otherwise, I was done for.

The door clicked.

I grabbed a towel.

And then my aunt walked in.

"Sammy, we're back-" she stopped abruptly. "...Sammy?" She paused to process what was before her. "What are you doing?"

I began, "Its a long story..."

I heard the giggle of a little girl. "Sammy, why do you have a dishcloth on your head?"

I winced. Linds. Great. Now, not only would Aunt flip, but my little sister would have to witness my public humiliation. Better bite the bullet already, I decided.

"Please don't kill me," I said simply.

"Why would you say that--"Aunt Jade started to say.

Then I pulled the towel off my head, unveiling my terrible masterpiece of a mistake.

Horror was the only word to describe the look on her face. Linds' little mouth formed a perfect 'o' of astonishment.

And I stood there before them, basking in my orange-haired glory.

I am so dead...


                                                      {excerpt of the great ones and the general, by elysibeth s. gyrate}

2 comments:

  1. Someday I aspire to be an artificial redhead. But maybe I should wait to see what Sammy says about if first, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great. Well written and pulled me right in. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.