Thursday, October 10, 2013

...fandom-ness...

I have a friend who calls fandoms fan-dumbs.

And as much as I am sometimes inclined to agree with them, I must admit: I belong to many fandoms. And I am not upset by that one bit.

It started with Doctor Who (actually, it started with my brother, my future sister-in-law, and her sister nagging me to watch what seemed to me a very very weird TV show that featured a blonde girl with some modesty issues, a big blue box--um, weird?--and this guy with glasses and awesome sticky-uppy hair.) They dragged me into the fandom kicking and screaming, and to this day, I am grateful they did it, but would not wish it upon any other person.



My first episode was Blink, which was awesome and creepy, and my second episode was the Eleventh Hour, which made me fall in love with the show. I happily gnawed my way through Seasons 5 and 6, then got over my dislike of David Tennant (I honestly don't know what I was thinking back then...), and fell in love with Nine almost immediately. I didn't especially have a favorite Doctor. I just loved the entire show. I have days when I'm obsessed with it, and other days when I couldn't care less. But I think I can honestly say that Doctor Who will always be my favorite show. Ever.


Then came Merlin. I'd finished watching what Doctor Who I had available to me, and had post-BBC despression. I needed something to watch. And so, several of my delightful friends encouraged me to watch Merlin. And with a bad internet connection and a dying laptop, I watched the first 2 episodes. And thus, another fandom added itself to the list.


As a child, I devoured books about Arthur, Merlin, and his knights. That whole time period enchanted me. And to discover a TV show dedicated to the stories that I loved so much? Well, it was like a match made in heaven.


I have yet to finish all the seasons (I think I've watched all of season 1 and 2, and most of 3, but 4 and 5 I have yet to watch--except for the show finale. *sniffs*) once I get a working computer, me and Hulu will have a little party and remeet all my favorite characters. And then I'll probably become a bundle of feels and won't be able to talk to people for a few days.


A few weeks after I got into Merlin, a friend slept over at my house. We watched Doctor Who all night, and then the next day, she suggested watching the first episode of Sherlock. At first, I was hesitant--from what I had heard about Sherlock, I wasn't sure if it was the right show for me. But my mom okayed it, saying she'd watched it and enjoyed it, and so we went ahead and watched it. And then I discovered that Benedict Cumberbatch's voice was not as annoyingly gravely as I'd first thought it was, that Martin Freeman was NOT Morgan Freeman and that he was an adorable little hedgehog, and that Molly Hooper was AWESOME.


It took me longer to get through Sherlock than it did through anything else--mostly because I had to wait for my mother to pre-watch Season One for me, and because the episodes are so deliciously long. I have yet to watch the Scandal in Belgravia, and I doubt that I ever will. I know people say that it's a pretty incredible episode, apart from the whole Adler things, but...I just don't want to go there. I've read some of the stories, and Irene Adler always bugs me. So I'm content just to skip all that nonsense.


After getting into the the Big 3 of British TV, I said to myself, "Oh what the heck. Watch Robin Hood. It's bound to be good." And I wasn't wrong. Again, I grew up with those stories as my favorites, and being able to watch a good TV adaptation of them was just incredible.


I don't think I've really gotten into any other British fandoms, besides Harry Potter and period-style films. That is when I progressed into the Japanese/Korean side of things.


I really don't know when it happened. I think it's because I kept seeing A:TLA and LOK stuff on Pinterest, and it kinda piqued my curiosity. I watched all three books in one month, and LoK in a matter of days. And although A:TLA is more cartoon than anime, I was hooked instantly.


I watched most of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (skipping the bloody parts...eesh...), Bleach, Ouran High School Host Club, a good portion of InuYasha, Fruits Basket, and Death Note. I don't watch any other animes, because I decided that it was beginning to take over waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of my free time, but I go back every once in a while and watch my favorites over again.


And thus leads me to my latest decent into madness.

K-dramas.



Once again, I blame Pinterest. Stuff about shows called 'Secret Garden' and 'Flower Boy Next Door' and 'City Hunter' kept popping up, and me being the curious soul that I am, decided to check it out. Basically, a Korean drama (or a k-drama) is a Korean version of a soap opera. Some are very cheesy. Some are angsty. Some are chock full of violence and political intrigue. But all are most definitely filled with drama. So much so that there are certain ones I won't watch, because the drama is overplayed and too much. But there are other ones that it's just the right amount that I don't mind.




K-dramas definitely have a distinct formula. Much like shojo anime, it's usually girl and guy meet, the two either hate each others guts, or one sudden falls head over heels while the other still hates their guts. Drama insues, and they have ups and downs, and almost always, there's a happy ending waiting somewhere for them, usually after 15+ episodes.



I think what I like most about k-dramas, surprisingly enough, is what they have taught me about writing. Not that I should follow a formula in writing--heavens, no!--but stuff like character development (what I should and shouldn't do), plot twists (are three in one episode necessary?), and how to carry a plot without forgetting a single detail. Seriously--in most k-dramas, I don't find many plot holes. It's incredible. And obviously, these shows are masters at the art of 'cliff-hanging.'

I apologize for the word in this, but it was just so perfect. :P

K-dramas are not for every one. Like with anime, I decided that they were taking up too much of my free time, so I usually save them for when I am sick, or I watch half of an episode before I go to bed, or as a reward for getting all that I need to do done. I think I've watched maybe 3 of them the entire way through--most I watch until maybe 3/4 of the way through, and then skip to the end. Some people might be horrified by this, but the last 3 to 5 episodes of the show is when the drama is the most fierce, and rather than deal with that, I just skip it. :)


Here are a few of my favorites!


this one is called Good Doctor--and it's my all time favorite. It's about an autistic genius who becomes a doctor and all the discrimination and stuff that he has to go through.

 I think I liked this one because although there is drama in it, it makes sense. I don't have to sit there and think "Um....why is he acting like that?" City Hunter is a good one because it has just the right mix of happy silliness and action/political intrigue.




 You're Beautiful. I both love and hate this one. Love, because two of my favorite Korean actors are in it (oh gosh, I have favorite Korean actors now...), hate, because it's so...frustrating. Back forth on this one.



 This one is called Love Rain--which automatically set me against it, because I'm not a big fan of the whole romantic scheme of things, but to my amazement, I ended up liking it a lot. I'm currently watching this one, and I must say that it's almost  tied with Good Doctor. Almost. :)

Whew! It's been while since I wrote that much for a blog post. And you know what? It feels good. :) I will hopefully have two book reviews for you within the next week, as I have been reading like a maniac lately, so look forward to that.

Love y'all, and thanks for bearing with my sporadic activity!
Ely

5 comments:

  1. So, after watching you and K post so much on Pinterest involving Sherlock and Doctor Who...I finally caved and watched them...and now I'm kind of addicted. The Scandal in Belgravia episode is totally fine to skip; in fact, I kind of wished I had skipped it too. Irene bothers me as well. And as for Doctor Who, I've only watched the eleventh Doctor. I only have a couple more episodes to finish, then I'll probably go back and watch Nine and Ten. And Merlin...well, I've only seen a few episodes of season 1, but I'm addicted to that. I have yet to watch Robin Hood. I keep telling myself to get caught up in Doctor Who before I add in yet another tv show. I think I love BBC a little too much... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESH!!!! WATCH ALL THE BRITISH TV SHOWS!!!!

      mwahahahahahaha...I love converting people. :D Addiction to the BBC is not a bad thing, at least you can admit it freely. :)

      Delete
    2. ---Uhm, yeah, Ely, at this point, I blame you for everything fandumb in my life. (I'm so totally calling it that now.)

      ...Thanks, I guess. :D

      Delete
    3. hahahahahah you can thank Corban for that term. He uses it every chance he gets. :P

      And you're welcome. :D

      Delete
  2. Being a fan can be fun, and depressing. But lots of fun. Being a BBC fan is the best. Adn Doctor Who is amazing and I'm glad to hear you love Nine because he gets the most unlove.

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.