Saturday, October 26, 2013

...the one that cares...

I looked over my shoulder into the backseat. Colt and Linds were leaning together, both of their mouths hanging open. A chorus of snores erupted from Linds, and Sam chuckled. "She makes more noise than a seventeen year old boy."

"Nineteen year old," I corrected.

She gave me a weird look. "But you said you're the same age, and you're seventeen."

"Nineteen."

"You said you were a junior in high school."

"Got held back."

"Ok, will you stop already with the curt answers? I know you're not happy with me right now; I get that. But I'm just trying to talk to you."

Exactly. I didn't want to talk to her. I didn't want to see her ever again after this stupid roadtrip was over.

"Matt?"

I grunted.

"Just talk with me, okay? I'm not going to pry, all right?"

I grunted.

She huffed in exasperation. "What am I going to do with you? You can't give me the silent treatment until we go home--which won't be for a while, if I have my way."

"About that." Colt's voice came from the back. "We need to call your aunt."

"You're awake?" She practically turned around in her seat to look at him.

I looked down at my hands. My knuckles were white from me clenching my fingers around the
wheel. Deep breath, Matt. Deep breath.

"How could I be asleep with you two yammering away?" Charm oozed from Colt's voice. I felt slimy just listening to him.

Of course Sam giggled.

She leaned a little further out of her seat. Her seat belt slipped completely off her shoulder. "Matt, yammering? That would be a miracle."

"I don't know--get him a Dr. Pepper or two and he'll chatter up a storm."

"Really--"

"Will you please just sit down already!"

I felt both of them stare at me.

"Bro." Colt sounded concerned. I didn't look back at him, but I could feel by the heat of his breath on my neck that he had leaned towards me. "You okay?"

My fingers clenched even tighter. The leather felt hot under my skin.

Sam, back in her seat once more, stared at me, her icy green eyes sparkling. "Matt? Are you all right?" She put a hand on my shoulder.

That did it.

I slammed on the brakes. Sam screamed, and my seat shook from some collision--probably Colt hitting his head. Behind me, lights flared and horns sounded in a violent frenzy. One driver swerved past me, window down and yelling foul words at me, but I didn't care.

"Sit in your seat," I said, staring straight ahead. "Or get out of this car."

 Sam fingered her seat-belt anxiously. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to make you upset with my nagging...I was just teasing you."

"It's not that," Colt began. "He-"

"Shut it, Colton."

Colt shut it.

I finally looked fully at Sam. "Are you going to sit still and stay in your seat?" I sounded the father of a three year old; with the frustration boiling over inside me, I sure felt like one.

She bit her lip and shot a sideways glance at Colt. Sure, Sam. Check with him. Check with the smoozing flirt who'd do anything just to be the center of attention. Don't mind me. Don't mind the paranoid one.

Don't mind the one that cares.


{don't mine me I'll just sit in this corner I'm such a bad person Matt yes I still love you don't cry the emotional trauma won't last forever}

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I love this. I love this.

    This inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your characters all feel so alive! I like all of them even though I barely know them.

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.