Monday, January 20, 2014

that's the sound when the rock hits


my name is mekana.

i am a very weird person.

a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was first introduced to TFK via my darling older sister (darling meaning my favorite minion).

now just who is whose minion????

be husheded. I'm the one talking right now.


Anyway, as I was saying before I was interrupted, I heard this song maybe 4 years ago. That's just a rough guestimate, I can't remember how long ago it was. Regardless, I thought this kind of music was weird! I had never really listened to anything like this before, and quite honestly, I disliked it. But, as it happens when you share a room with someone who has a different taste than you in pretty much everything, it started to grow on me.

well excuse me for trying to broaden your horizons...

 E for Extinction became one of my favorite songs, not just of TFK's music, but over all. I think what first grabbed my attention in this song was the later part of the chorus. Making up stories in my head is something I enjoyed (and still enjoy) and when I hear that part I think it sounds like a story is somewhere in there, waiting to be written. Something about camouflage and standing in the shadows while waiting for whatever they had been created and living for sounded exciting and mysterious.


Normally when I like a song, I will listen to it over and over and over and over and over and over and... Well, you get the idea. But eventually I would get sick of it and move onto another song. E for Extinction kept coming back. I would get sick of it, then after a couple of months rediscover it. And each time I started listening to it again, the reason I liked it changed a little. I still think it would make a good story sometime, but other parts also became my favorite.

I'm not the same as yesterday, it's hard to explain how things have changed, but I'm not the same as before.

This part really clicked with what I had begun noticing and thinking about. I had also never really thought of TFK as a Christian based band, but the implications of some of the lyrics became apparent to me recently.

We live for this and nothing more, we are what you created.

And that just made me love it more.


Honestly, I don't completely understand all of this song (sometimes I think parts of it are really weird and don't fit with the rest of the song) but the parts I do understand are more than enough to make it worth listening to. I think this song will continue to be one of my favorites for  a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
 I hope you will enjoy it just as much. :)


mekana

1 comment:

  1. Great song!!! Which prompts, "This song, I like it. Another!!!" *crash*

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.