Monday, February 24, 2014

it's only in your head

Have you ever had a song that just stopped you in your tracks the moment you heard it? A song that instantly strikes a chord with you, and the moment it finishes playing, you rush to the computer to look it up on YouTube and read the lyrics?

I don't find those songs very often, but when I do...man, do I listen the heck out of them.

Today, while tidying my room and listening to the radio, a song came on. So what? That's what the radio is for: songs come on, you listen to them, and maybe you enjoy it, maybe you don't. It wasn't even the first time I'd ever heard this song, and without thinking, I started singing along.

And then it came to the chorus.

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).



Yes, I am talking about Jimmy Eats World's fabulous song The Middle. I grew up listening to this song (albeit a parody...called the Spittle. Don't ask. Just don't ask.) I would hear it every now and then while listening to my He Is We Pandora station. But I guess it never struck me how powerful of a song it was until now. Or maybe it didn't mean as much to me until now. I don't know which.



I have yet to meet a teen who doesn't struggle at least a tiiiiiiny bit with comparing themselves to those around them. I'd like to meet someone who doesn't have moments when they wonder what people say about them when their backs are turned. Self-confidence is something that I've always had issues with, and as I've grown, it's not gotten any better. Yes, I've gotten better at shoving that nagging little voice into a dark corner and going on with whatever I was originally going to do, but even if I do that, the voice is still there. I cannot tell you how many times I ask myself "Am I being too weird for these people to handle? Do they think I'm strange? Should I just shut up already?"


This song reminds me that that little dark voice says some really stupid stuff. I shouldn't care so much about what others think of me. It is good to want people to like you, I believe, but to a proper extent. You shouldn't let it change who you are, what you do, how you act. You're still figuring out just who you are--don't let other people form you into something that you are.

You're in the middle of the ride. Everything is going to be just fine. It just takes some time. Don't write yourself off yet.



3 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. I had that moment yesterday when I heard the song Brave by Sara Bareilles. I had heard it before and I liked it a lot and then I heard it when I was at the store and it just stopped me dead in my tracks and I made a note to look it up when I got home. And I did. And now its on repeat:) lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes. Brave did the same thing to me when I heard it last summer. Such an amazing song. It will always be one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  2. Your words were beautiful, and so true. Thanks for sharing :) You have good stuff to say, miss Ely.

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.