Saturday, June 20, 2015

reality boy {a book review}

honestly, I picked this one up because the author's pen name is A.S. King, aka asking, which I found really cool and...

you know, I'm beginning to realize that all my book selections have really weird stories behind them. And I'm pretty okay with that.


I actually haven't decided if I like Reality Boy yet. This book was a ride. There were a few times when I almost through it across the room, and there were also times when I had to take a deep breath to keep myself from crying.


I know I didn't think I'd like it when I first started reading it. Honestly, the main character's name is Gerald. I don't like the name Gerald. It makes me think of cough syrup. Not a good name (no offense given to all the Gerald's of the world; I'm just not going to give that name to my firstborn...or any of my children...or any of my pets...) His anger issues also frustrated me--but what frustrated me worse was his therapist.

therapist: you don't deserve to be angry.
me: shut up.
therapist: you can't ask for things in life, it'll only make you angrier because your expectations are going to ruin you.
me: shut your face.

seriously. that's crap advice.

yeah...pretty ironic though--a anger therapist gave me anger issues. 

I'll say it again: this book was a ride. Up and down, back and forth, all over the place. I pretty much gave up having any ideas about where it would go and just went with the flow. It got to the point that I didn't even bat an eyelash when Gerald and Register #1 Girl kidnapped each other and ran away to the circus. Or when Snow White started talking.

Just kidding.That was one of the moments I had to take a deep breath and resist throwing the book across the room (I had that sort of moment too).

Gersday weirded me out a little...and it also made me really sad. It was continual evidence that this kid was disintegrating right in front of my eyes, and I couldn't do anything about it. That was actually that main thing that frustrated me about this story. So much went down that I couldn't change or help. His parents and their blindness. Hannah's oversensitivity. Gerald's tactic of retreating from the real world. Tasha's stupidity.

Oh my gosh. Tasha. I hated Tasha. And the thing is--she wasn't over the top. You actually believed this girl was off the deep end and had been there for a while. Normally characters with her psychopathic tendencies irk me, but she just made my heart hurt like she was an actual person.

Also, I would officially like to hug Hockey Lady, as well as Ashley and Nathan. You outstanding people. I love you lots.

actually I'd probably try hugging them and end up being that person...

Overall, this book was an interesting read. I haven't touched on the whole "Gerald grew up on TV and he's pretty much been destroyed by the fact that television made his life into something that could have the bad edited out so one could see him hurting" aspect of the story, and I'm not going to. That's a huge ball of wax that I don't have the time nor energy to dig into, but I will say this: reality TV frustrates me. And this comes from someone who watches her fair share of that stuff (Korean though it may be). I know that what's going on isn't always what's actually happening in the real world. It's so easy to stage things and to cover things up. It makes me wonder just what is truly going on. It makes me curious in a very worried way.


One quick note--this book is by no means a clean one. Swearing, Tasha and her boyfriends very rude behavior, even Gerald's loopy way of thinking...it can be rough. But it also made me think, long and hard, about several things. And if you love a good story about a kid pushing though the expectations that he and others have set up for himself, Reality Boy is a pretty good choice.

Have a fantastic Father's Day weekend, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.