Sunday, July 5, 2015

the ordinary matt

writing is getting really serious these days, guys. In more ways than one. I'm nearing the end of my first draft, and it's also the part of the story where Matt's downward spiral is beyond anyone's control. Part of the reason why I was having such a hard time writing earlier was because I'm still coming to grips with some of the things I have to write with, and I also don't want the story to end. My time with the great ones has been one of the greatest in my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I know I still have a long way to go, but you gotta understand--these characters are my babies. The second time through will be different...but I'm sure it will be just as amazing.  I have a lot of new evil ideas. Wait--did I say evil? I meant creative and awesome and original and evil. Dang it. Why does that word keep slipping out?



and although I've had issues with writing lately, I sure have no issues with writing Beautiful People... this is one kind of writing I ALWAYS look forward too.

1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
because Matty's my baby, he and I love the same flavour. Chocolate Chip all the way--and when he can't get it, Cookies n Creme (lucky dog...)


2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?

excuse me while I try to put my back in its proper position--I laughed too hard. Matt? Go out? That's funny. If Colt does manage to drag him out, he's dressed like he normally does--boring t-shirt in a boring color, dark jeans, converse that have seen better days. If it's up to Matt where they go, they'll go to a movie or the library or a bookstore, where it's required that you be quiet. He'll also go at absurd hours, so practically no one will be there. If it's up to Colt...let's just say Matt's staying in the car.

 
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
Matt has long feet. He tripped over them a lot in gym class. And during puberty. And pretty much all the time. Like the rest of him, he's ghosty pale, and he has a bad tendency of letting his toenails grow (I know, eww. It's a Jon thing.) He lives and breathes Converse. If you see him in normal tennis shoes, you must immediately assume he's deathly ill and rush him to a hospital. He finds ankle socks the most comfortable, no matter how much Colt says they're girly. If they're black, all the better. He hates dress shoes. They squeeze his toes, and when you factor in all the tripping he does, he goes through many a scuffed pair. 
 
this picture proves many things. One--that Colt is crazy. Two--Matt loves Converse. And is dragged on craziness a lot.

4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Both Matt and Jon were born with moles on their neck, right below their ear. Their mom was only mildly freaked out.
*fun story--me, my mom, and my sister all have little moles in roughly the same area on our necks. how bizarre is that?*
 
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Matt listens to a lot of instrumental music--piano covers, chill background music, that kind of thing. He does have a fondness for the band Fun, and his current favourite song is All Alright (which gives both of us feels for obvious reasons).

me with Matty, basically. All the time.
 
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Heh...none of the North family has any musical profiency. Shiloh can sing. And that's about it. Matt's singing voice sounds like a rapper trying to sing (lik, actually sing), and I think he once played a harmonica that Colt had lying around for some odd reason.
 
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
he likes books that make him think. they're not the most popular books, but they invest him more than books teens read these days (and yes, he sounds like an old fogey when he says that). His favourite book is To Kill A Mockingbird, and a close second is We Need To Talk About Kevin.
 
you nerd you.

8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Sleeping. Reading. Hiding from Colt. Just kidding. No one can hide from Colt. It's kinda scary. 
 
Colt. What are doing. Colton. Stahp.

9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details.
 Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
He probably just got up. Correction: he's been up for two or three hours, but this is the first time he's moved. If Colt is in the room, he's moving sluggishly and with much withdrawn anger at his best friend, and if his stomach is growling, he's moving quickly out of the room, down the stairs, and straight to the sticky-note covered fridge. Saturdays are big sticky note days for his mom. He usually has a peach yogurt cup for brunch, and occasionally ice cream hidden in a mug if he's feeling daring. Saturdays are Matt's favourite day of the week. He likes being a lazy-bones.

 
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
In seriousness--his guilt about Jon. He blames himself, since he was the last person to lay eyes on him. Also, if your brother/best friend/twin dies under suspicious circumstances, you're going to hate yourself for not paying close enough attention. 


In not-seriousness--his reputation for being the smart kid. Seriously, kid who sits behind him during AP Calculus class. Get someone else to give you their answers. Not every rumor is true. Smart kids can struggle academically too. Gosh.



So there you have it. I think this is actually the first time I've done a Beautiful People solely on Matt. I know I've done one on both of the twins, but this is almost definitely a first. I hope you enjoyed reading this half as much as I enjoyed writing it--Matt's personality is always a pleasure to explore. 

Plus, he's a snarky dweeb and I love him. A lot. Wish me luck as I put him through hell and back in these last few chapters. It's gonna be rough on the both of us. 
 
Sam=me, Dean=my family

4 comments:

  1. I approve of his reading choices.and most of his overall life choices actually. and now I have that Fun song stuck in my head. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I've not read this blog in far too long. But The Great Ones is one of the few novels discovered online that I actually think about and really want to read. Matt sounds adorable. I love all these answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. :) I've always liked Matt, and Colt and ALL of them. That picture with them and the orange cone seemed very much like Matt and Colt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I love this guy, Matt especially his converse love a guy in converse.

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.