Tuesday, October 13, 2015

my babies are back {beautiful books #1}

so.

NaNo is happening.


since I am no longer stressing about tests and reading and essays and all that, I have a little more time on my hands. I'm using that time to edit as much of the great ones as I can during October, and then I begin the second draft of my baby for NaNo. and by second draft I mean, I'm rewriting the first draft and fine-tuning it, because there are some major plot holes and some plot points that have drastically changed since I started writing this novel. it's time to get everything sorted out.

I'm rather excited.


seriously. I'm doing more prep than I ever have before. it's kind of scary. and it can be kinda boring. I'm story-boarding each chapter right now...I'm on chapter seven and I'm dying. I really just want to write it all already.


but the lovely Cait and Sky have decided to put together Beautiful Books this month--a fun version of prep! I especially love this, since I've had a lot of new readers join and I'm not sure how much they know about the great ones, despite how much I talk about it. so consider this my official "The Great Ones and the General 101" post.


gosh it feels strange to type the title in all caps. I'm going to have issues in the future.


            how did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
  honestly, I don't remember. I know it was on a rainy day. Matt had already been created ages ago, but non of the things I'd written with him in ever fit. I think the project I was working on involved him in a wheelchair--he was still just as sad and broken, but in different ways. I was dealing with a lot of mental turmoil at the time, so I think that was inspired me to go down this road. I needed to know someone was hurting like I was, even if it was just a fictional character. I've had some of these characters for years, but the actually story line of the novel is about two and a half years old.


why are you excited to write this novel?
it's my baby. it helped me through a really hard time, and my characters are basically a part of me. I've written a lot of stories before, but none of them caught on like this. just talking about the great ones makes me excited. I guess that means something--these words are meant to see the world. they have a job to do.


what is your novel about, and what is its title?

oooh! I wrote a blurb recently. Enjoy.

Matthew North is a nineteen year old who sleeps on top of his sheets and visits a therapist every week. He doesn't want to be here. His best friend doesn't understand what's going on inside his head, and even Matt isn't sure if he does. The only for sure thing in his life are the straight black lines in his notebook. They lead to truth of some sort, unlike people. People just lead to disappointment.
When he discovers that the one person he trusts is leaving, he doesn’t know what to do. This leads to the three fateful words that changed his life forever.
“Come with me.”
In a reluctant whirlwind of an adventure, Matt is pulled away from all the things that he knows and forced into a world that doesn’t simply accept his melancholy. Surrounded by a crotchety old man who has an alligator in his pond and who likes to play ukulele at 2 in the morning, a teenage runaway and her little sister who laugh too much, and his best friend who might be as depressed as he is, Matt discovers that there’s so much that he does not know. This has the power to change him...or to destroy him forever.



until recently, the title didn't make any sense with the rest of the novel. it was just a phrase from a Bible verse I memorized that got stuck in my head...and here we are. I pieced together a rough reason for the title here, but in my upcoming second draft, there's a character named the General and hopefully my babies will prove to be great. I kinda think they are.


sum up your characters in one word.
Matthew North = lost
Colton Trelawney = awkward
Sam Carpenter = rebel
Linds Carpenter = precious
and one for the road...
Jonathan North = dead

I'm sorry. that was low.


which of your characters do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them!
I'm not saying Matt. I love him to death, but he's not my favourite. I really really love writing Jon, because he's not in every freaking scene. I jump at a chance to write a Jon scene. it's tricky to write him, because he's very similar to Matt but different in slight ways.
I'm not sharing a lot about Jon because he's supposed to stay mysterious (sorry...) but here's a complimentary photo of him. he looks like Cole Mohr, who was a random Pinterest find. He's perfect. and I guess Matt looks like him too.




what is your protagonists' goal, and what stands in the way?
Matt's goal is to stop existing. he wants to be numb. he doesn't want to feel anything any more. he would've done something about this a long time ago, but his guilt keeps him back. he failed his brother, so why should he get out? the people around him hold him back as well.
eventually, Matt's goal shifts, but I'm not talking about that yet. I can share only so many spoilers.


where is your novel set?
it's set in the northwest, mostly in Oregon.

what is the most important relationship your protagonist has?
Matt and Colt. they go together like peanut butter and jelly. sunshine and shadows. they're the first pieces in the puzzle to fit together; you look at their friendship and think "yes. this is right." I love the two of them a lot, and I'm so proud of where they've come from and how much they've grown.


how does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?


what themes are in your book? how do you want your readers to feel when the story is over?
I have a mock cover in my editing notebook, and one of the things I put on there is: "Is your life really worth living?" this is a question I've asked myself a lot. some days, all I want to do is lay in my bed and not do anything for the rest of my life. when I'm severely depressed, I have trouble waking up. I just want to stop having to feel things (a lot of Matt's emotions are my own). in my novel, I want to make a case that life is worth living--but that it's up to you to decide to live it.


NaNo bonus: tell us your 3 best pieces of advice for others trying to write a novel in a month.
1. drink lots of tea
2. buy a nice notebook, even if you don't end up using it.
3. guilt-writing is not good writing. Try to make writing fun and not an obligation.


so now I have 17 or so days to spaz, stress, and be generally excited about NaNo. are any of you guys planning on taking part? if so, add me! here's a link to my profile.  I can't wait to see how we all do!


16 comments:

  1. *flailing* I love this post so much!

    I adore your characters and the story is just- I love it all. And the pictures and gifs show the personality of what I've seen in their snippets. YES! I'm excited that you're working on this and I hope it goes awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when my writing makes me people flail. Idk why...it just makes me happy. XD

      Delete
  2. I...I just...I want to read this. Really really badly because it sounds lovely and would probably make me cry because I'm sappy like that.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it makes me cry thinking that it'll make you cry because it's kinda incomphrensible to me that my simple idea could ever emotionally invest people. so yeah. that's a weird feeling. but I'm excited to share this story with you along the way. :)

      Delete
  3. AFJDLKAS YOUR BOOK SOUNDS INCREDIBLE AND VERY HEART RIPPING, TBH. I'm sniffling just thinking about it. And all A+ use of gifs and your character photos are gorgeous and adorable and I think Matt sounds entirely wonderful. And SAD. Omg, this book. GO YOU. I hope it's a glorious rewrite!!
    Thanks for joining in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're book sounds tragic, I love it. If you need a beta reader for it after Nano. *Waves hand*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story sounds absolutely incredible and the visuals you picked were amazing! I give you a lot of credit for attempting something so emotional, because it is obvious how much you care about the story. I wish you all the best for writing it :D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IM SO NOT READY!

    but GOOD GOSH I NEED TO READ THAT NOVEL ELY!
    its just beautiful. I love it. Matt is a precious cinnamon roll. I need to read his story. all the way through.

    YOU GOT THIS GIRL!

    Also I think Imma write a post with these questions too. just to get ideas flowing. since Im having such a hard time plotting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES MATTHEW IS SUCH A PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL that is perfect!!

      I have a precious snowflake and a precious cinnamon roll. I am happy. :D

      Delete
  7. Ermagersh your prose is beautiful o.O I can already tell that you're a talented writer. A little jealous here XD

    dimensionsofmyuniverse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so this just sounds like the most awesome thing EVER!!! I am totally in love with this idea and all the characters and basically everything. *tries not to hyperventilate* *fails* *hyperventilates* I really, really, really want to read this, and I wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really cool to see more about your books. ^ ^ I love bro relationships and the theme of your book. It sounds really deep and powerful and I love the deep stuff. I also added you as a buddy on NaNo. I'm Lady Elasa of Calsidor. ^ ^

    I did Beautiful Books too. ^ ^ http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/10/beautiful-books-introduce-your-novel.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhhh your book sounds a.maz.ing. Matt sounds perfect and your synopsis was an intriguing read!I LOVE the title. I can tell from this post that you're writing is superb!

    Good luck with NaNo!

    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fangirled at this post!

    OK, before we have start on the great ones (!!!), can I just say I love your blog aesthetic? The white background, the Times New Roman, the muted grey font, the lower case, the centre alignment, the tag questions in italics. It's all perfect. (I guess I've said that before, but ha, I'm saying it again!) Also, your pictures are beautiful, I love the traffic cone one a lot and also the first illustration is perfect <3

    OK so I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS NOVEL. Like SRS AND FOR REAL. Matt is so so adorable and your themes sound amazing, and I love the title, and gah, I'm fangirling!

    My other fave thing is the way you talk about writing, if that makes sense. "I've written a lot of stories before, but none of them caught on like this. just talking about the great ones makes me excited. I guess that means something--these words are meant to see the world. they have a job to do." That is beautiful, and it perfectly sums up how I feel about my book, too.

    Anyway, that was like way too many compliments, sorry!

    Goodnight! xx

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.