Saturday, August 27, 2016

beautiful people : freckles and coffee and my newest fave

this week has been HUGE for writing with the great ones. I've written more in this past week than I wrote in July. yeah. July was THAT bad.

every time I sit down to write I try not to think about the terrible quality of everything I wrote in July...

this week also held another monumental decision regarding the great ones: I added a few new characters. since I've been making some changes with the plot, it came to my attention that my cast of characters was...in a word, selective. I mainly had my Big Three characters, Shiloh, and Linds. And while that was enough for my earlier plots, when roadtrips were happening and there wasn't enough room in the car for any more people, this new concept definitely needs a wider variety of characters to help support it.


and of course I fell in love with one of them--ironically, the one that was supposed to be a sort of antagonist to my faves. now he is a fave and I love writing scenes with him. *shrugs* what can you do?

me at Will now since he's taken Ayden's place as the big meanie. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BECOME PRECIOUS TO ME

so here I am, sliding into Beautiful People MUCH later than usual, to introduce the lovely Ayden Engle~~


Beautiful People is a blog meme hosted by Skye @ further up and further in and  Cait @ Paper Fury. Every month, they post ten questions to help you get to know your characters better. They can be elusive and enigmatic, but Skye and Cait hope every question they post brings you closer to the answers about your wonderful beautiful people (your characters). 


1. give a brief overview of their looks. (include a photo if you want!)

(I was going to answer this question, but I'm so tired today that my thoughts aren't in order, so here's a nice picture instead. plus all my answers after this are pretty explanatory. *falls asleep mid-shrug*

I couldn't find a picture that suited both my vision of his hair and his freckles so I settled for just the hair ㅠㅠ

2. share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.

'“Will, Nathanael, Luis, Ayden,” Joel rattled off, pointing at the five strangers sitting around the dark room with extremely bored expression. “Showers and toilets in the back; your bunk is here.” He shoved away a pile of random junk, presumably leftovers that every else stored on my painfully thin mattress. The guy above my bunk, with dark curly hair and heavily sprinkled freckles (?),  glared at me like I was the last thing he wanted to see. His t-shirt proclaimed “SOMETHING PUNK ROCK RELATED". Along with his round, wire rimmed glasses, he looked like a tired, African-American version of Harry Potter—although if Shiloh were there, I knew she would say he was a lot better looking than Daniel Radcliffe at any point of his metamorphosis.'


3. what is the first thing people might notice about them?

Ayden has a serious face, which is usually the first thing people observe about him. even when he isn't displeased or upset, he tends to look that way. it's very difficult to get a genuine smile out of him.


 
4. what are their unique features?

Ayden is biracial, so his skin is a little lighter than his step-brother Nathanael, but his eyes are extremely dark. he also has some impressive freckles, on his face, neck, and hands.

SO CLOSE. just imagine a tad more freckles, a little darker skin, and you've got Ayden in a nutshell!

5. how tall are they? what is their build?

Ayden always seems very tall, but it's mostly just how he presents himself to the room. he's about five foot ten inches. he has an average build.

he would be taller, but he thinks all the coffee he's ingested stunted his growth

6. what is their posture like? how do they usually carry themselves?

when standing, he slouches, but not in a lazy or defensive manner. it's more of his way of saying that he really has no desire to be there. when he walks, Ayden carries himself confidently, with no nonsense in his footsteps.


7. your character has been seen on a "lazy day" (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?

sweat pants and a t-shirt. tennis shoes. he likes looking nice, so even on a lazy day his outfits are semi-put together and definitely clean (and not wrinkled!)

also a huge fan of comfy sweatshirts on any kind of day

8. do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? do they have any clothing/accessory that could be considered their trademark?

Ayden's trademark accessory is his glasses. he has several pairs, but they're all round lenses. he actually needs glasses and isn't just wearing them to be cool.


9. have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? explain!

while growing up, Ayden encountered some judgement because of his mixed race, on both sides of his family and from strangers, so he's a little sensitive when people comment on how different he and Nathanael look.  his freckles also got a lot of attention, and he hates them--even now that he's older and doesn't usually care what snide people say about how he looks.


10. are they happy with how they look? if they could change anything about their appearance, what would it be?  

overall, he likes how he looks--he still has days where he gets frustrated with his body and his heritage, but he's embraced who he is as a person. if he had to change one thing, though, he would definitely do away with his freckles (at which I cry...I love me some freckles...)

he loves da coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee

are you as excited about the addition of Ayden to the great ones as I am? let me tell you, his scenes with Matt and Colt are the greatest, because he's really not sure how Matt hasn't murdered Colt in his sleep yet. I've also been working on his and Nathanael's backstory, and they're going to be good for Matt. they have some big things he needs to hear--not from his friends, from his safety blankets, but from practical strangers.


happy Friday, guys! what do you plan to do this weekend? are you a fan of freckles or nah? love you all!

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1 comment:

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.