Tuesday, January 10, 2017

beautiful books : 2017 writing goals

at the beginning of 2016, I didn't really have many writing goals. yes, I planned on working on the great ones pretty seriously, and I hoped to have a chance to give some of my plot bunnies the time of day, but mostly I wanted to actually start writing again. 2015 was a great year because I finished the great ones, but it was also a hard year writing wise. I had no motivation, no drive, and no inspiration. in 2016, I was able to fix that--I feel like I'm slowly finding my love of writing all over again.

I felt like this for a lot of 2016. it was great.
it makes me so  sentimental to look back at all that I did last year--and so excited to make plans for this coming year. hopefully when 2018 comes around, I'll be able to look back at this goals and feel content and accomplished. *crosses fingers*

SO LET'S DO THIS THING

1.  what were your writing achievements last year?

last year, I solved a lot of plot dilemmas with the great ones and the general, wrote a little bit of cor, my for fun fantasy novel, and finished Tethered for NaNoWriMo--the first time that I have ever written a complete novel in one month. overall, it's not a ton of writing (except for the last two months), but I am very happy with the content of what I wrote. the amount isn't pertinent.  



2. What’s on your writerly “to-do list” for 2017? 

I want to finish draft 2 of Tethered and potentially start editing it.
^^I want to find more beta readers as work on this goal^^
I want to outline that cyberpunk novel that has been sitting in the back of my mind for a year now.
I also NEED to research for said cyberpunk novel.
I want to continue with the great ones and the general, slowly but steadily.
I want to stay in love with writing, and I want to make time to write. 

3. Tell us about your top-priority writing projects for this year! 

Tethered has become the #1 project in my mind these days. I am really passionate about it--I love it in a way that I haven't loved anything since I started the great ones and the general. my cyberpunk idea Thrice, which is a futuristic look back at one of my favourite eras in history, is also a priority of mine, just because I HAVE TO GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD. it's been floating around there since February of 2016, but I just haven't had the time to dedicate to it--mostly because it will require a fair amount of research...which I am deplorable at doing.  
 
I really hate research, sue me.


4. How do you hope to improve as a writer? Where do you see yourself at the end of 2017?
 

I really hope to find satisfaction in my voice. last year, I fought against my inner editor and won; this year, I want to feel comfortable and content with how I write things. my voice and writing style needs improvement, but I can already see changes that I like, and that makes me confident that 2017 will be good for me in that regard. at the end of 2017, I hope to be a more confident writer, both in my writing and in the bravery to show my work to others.  



5. Describe your general editing process.
 

generally, I take a few weeks away from the novel, then read through it once, only marking the things that I like. then I'll go through and cut out what needs to be removed for the story's sake or add new things to fill in the wholes. then I go deeper and look at every sentence, every word, instead of just from a scene/chapter perspective. at this point I try to get feedback from others. none of this is concrete, of course; my editing process changes more than I change my plot. which is also a lot. 

6. On a scale of 1-10, how do you think this draft turned out? 

I'd say a solid 7. I know it's not great. I've already changed a lot of things--for the better, I hope--but I feel like it has got characters that you want to love and a story that makes me happy and excited to write. 
 
overall I'm very happy.


7. What aspect of your draft needs the most work?
 

ALL THE THINGS. The plot has changed a fair amount--I need to revise my outline, work to develop Cora's character a LOT MORE and figure out my villain in a more tangible way.  

8. What do you like the most about your draft? 

writing from a female perspective was the best; I hadn't done that in ages. I also loved the visual image I have of Halloway in my head. I've never had that strong of an image of a story location before, and I really think that helped me get into the story quickly. and finally, I just really loved Neil. I fall in love with his character a little more every day--while I didn't quite have Cora figured out until the very end of the month, I solved the mystery of how to write Neil within a few days. he's so much fun to write, and I just want to make him take a nap, you feel me? my poor exhausted reaper son. 



9. What are your plans for this novel once you finish editing? More edits? Finding beta readers? Querying? Self-publishing? Hiding it in a dark hole forever?
 

editing and eventually finding beta readers. so far the only people who have laid eyes on that horrifying draft are me and my sister, and I'd like to keep it that way until it reaches a more concrete state. right now, it's basically jello. not even jello that has been in the fridge for an hour. soupy jello. and there's nothing worse than soupy jello writing.  



10. what is your top piece of advice for those who just finished writing a first draft?

don't rush it. after finishing NaNoWriMo, I was really tempted to begin editing right away--in fact, I printed off my novel within a week of finishing it, but then I decided to put it away. I still thought about it--I had ideas that needed to be written down, plans that I had to make sure I didn't forget--but I didn't try to edit or begin my rewrite or even try to revise my outline until a week or so later. I'm still working on that. I think it's important to stay in love with a project, but don't try to force yourself. let your brain cool down from 30 days of writing, and you'll probably find yourself with a better grasp on your story.  



what are your goals for 2017, writing-wise? do you plan on working on fixing up your NaNoWriMo novel like me, or are you directing your attention to other projects? do you have any plot bunnies hopping around these days? I'd love to know.

random life update: I am officially two days into my first semester on campus! keep me in your prayers, because I think Finite Mathematics might kill me yet.



have a great week!!

6 comments:

  1. Sign me up to beta read when you're ready. because Im always down to read your stuff. (even your soupy jello writing.)
    I would say that judging from your pinterest board, I too love Neil. as Im sure Ive said before. he sounds precious and I want one.
    but Im for sure praying for you and college! you're in my thoughts often. (its hard to forget because the picture of you and I is my phone background<3 )
    I miss you and love you.

    oh also my novel goals are fINISH my fourth draft. which I was dared to do this week so rip to me. and then send it to betas and work on that all year because I actually kinda want to publish it. (yIKES.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you are always high on my beta list. love your advice so much (and you fangirling over my writing does MIRACLES to my self esteem, lol). I can't wait til you get to see more of Neil. he's a such a strange mixture of happy and sad things, and I think that you will get that mixture, for some reason. *shrugs* thank you for your prayers...my first week of school was fairly uneventful, and I'm really loving it! :)
      I miss you tooooo...

      DUDE. YOU GOT THIS. that fourth draft is going to be FANTASTIC when you're done with it--and you know, once you're ready for betas, I'm waiting. eagerly. so very eagerly. XD

      LOVE YOU! <3

      Delete
  2. love this
    chloee
    sparkofmads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hate research, so you are not alone! It's the worst... :)

    Also your gif usage = perfection, basically.

    Also math is a disgusting beast, so good luck with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M SORRY IS THAT A HAIKYUU GIF??? OH MY GOSH BLESS.

    Whoa, Thrice sounds super awesome! Do you know what eras you're going to focus on?

    NEIL SOUNDS LIKE THE SWEETEST AHHH. Please become a published author at some point.

    I'm finishing up my latest project, a steampunk/fairyland mashup novel titled Karissa Goldlock's Guide to (Almost) Utterly Everything. After that, I plan on revamping my fantasy series and (hopefully) returning to my heaven vs. hell novella! (It's been six months since I touched that thing, and I do miss it so.)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.