...I struggle with naming things, if you can't tell...

Hello.

I am writing this on "not Leo III." Seriously. That's the best name I could come up for my new laptop. At first, I considered calling her Baby, because that's the first thing my mom said when she walked in the house after buying her: "Here's your baby." But then I made an unforunate correlations between that name and a certain Justin Beiber song. That kinda ruined that name for me... I seriously need help with this, guys. The past two laptops I've had, I named Leo (after my favorite character in the Heroes of Olympus series). Both have died.

I'm picking up a trend here.


It is seriously hard to come up with good names for inanimate objects. Or at least it is for me. Do y'all struggle with this too?

Oh, the hardships of a first-world society teenager. I can't come up with a name for my new computer. *melodramatic moment*
 
So I guess this means I'm doing NaNo. I don't have the excuse I was going to use any more, so that means I have approximately 1 day to prepare. YIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEESSSSSS!!!

I'm actually a bit excited. Just a bit. An eeeeeeeeeensy little bit.



Today's preparation consisted of a handy-dandy little character description list I found. It had fifty questions, but I'm not sharing all of those with you. *wiggles eyebrows maniacally* I like to keep a few secrets up my sleeve, thank you very much.


  • 1. What color is your character’s hair? 
  • the darkest shade before brown turns to black, walnut brown, 
  • 2. What color are your character’s eyes?
  •  chocolate Labrador eyes,
  • 3. What color is your character’s skin?
  • ivory piano keys
  • 4. What special aesthetic characteristics does your character have?
  •  a light dusting of freckles across his nose and cheekbones, a bruise-like birthmark on his upper left forearm.
  • 5. Does your character have any piercings? Tattoos?
  • One of his ears is pierced, but he hardly ever wears anything in it--he and Jonathan pierced their left ears as a joke on their sixteenth birthday.
  • 8. What does your character wear?
  • plain t-shirts and jeans, usually light/dark blue and dark colored jeans, black converse, sometimes flannel shirts over the t-shirts.
  • 11. What is your character’s normal style of speech?
  • Matt is quiet whenever he speaks--but he speaks in a harsh manner whenever he gets angry. He doesn't have much inflection, but is almost "robotic" as Sam comments. 
  • 14. How easy is it for other people to read your character’s emotions?
  • Again, he's "robotic." Not many people can read him--even his best friends who have known him since he was born. 
  • 18. How willing is your character to fight for those values?
  • if his personal privacy (or the privacy of others) is threatened, he resists. Honesty is a constant struggle for him, because of bad habits and new secrets, but he tries to hold firm to it. 
  • 19. What is your character’s favorite food?
  • korean fried rice, mint chocolate chip ice cream, Coca-Cola
  • 20. What is your character’s favorite color?
  • emerald green
  • 21. What are your character’s sleeping preferences?
  • he's a night owl, and light sleeper, which makes him constantly tired--borders on insomnia.
  • BONUS: What position does your character typically sleep in?
  • on his stomach, head resting on forearms
  • 25. What is your character’s birthday?
  • March 15, 1995
  • 36. What does your character believe is their greatest virtue?
  • He believes that his silence is his best virtue, but others disagree--he isn't a good listener because of how emotionless he seems on the surface. On the contrary, when he speaks up and starts expressing his thoughts, he becomes on fire, and you can see how much it means to him. 
  • 41. Would your character rather be hated for being who they are or loved for pretending to be someone else?
  • He'd rather be hated for being who he is. Honesty is the most important quality to him.
  • 42. Is your character an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?
  •  He is extremely introverted. 
  • 43. Is your character creatively expressive?
  • he draws on anything--paper napkins, cups, walls...it distracts him, and lets him get his emotions out without breaking things 
  •  44. What’s your character’s disorder?
  • As a child, he was severely autistic, but after years of therapy, he can talk and look people straight in the eye, though he still withdraws into himself quite often.
  • 45. What is your character’s standard emotional state?
  • He's pretty neutral--it takes a lot to make him upset or happy. 
  •  48. what really annoys your character? Shallowness. Insincerity. Whistling off-key. Bright colors. Sudden alterations of plans or unexpected changes.
  • 49. I am a _________. How would your character complete that sentence?
  • I am a failure.
  • 50. Life is an act of _________ing. What verb would your character use to complete that sentence?
  • Life is an act of surviving. 

I'm just now realizing how depressed of a character Matt is. When I first created him in my head (however many years ago that was) he was a rebellious redheaded teenager. Now, I look at what I've written about him, and I seen only a spark of the original Matt in him. It's kinda crazy how we writers go through just as many (or more) "rough drafts" for our characters as we do with our actual novel. And yet, we're  never quite satisfied with either of those things. There's always one little detail we want to change.


I guess that's why we humans shouldn't be allowed to play God. We'd change things constantly--searching for perfection.

Perfection is over-rated. Broken and imperfect characters (and people) for the win!! :)

Are any of y'all doing NaNo this year? Are you looking forward to it? Feeling a bit apphrensive? What's the extent of preparation you've done so far? I wanna know!



Cheerio, I guess,
Ely

Comments

  1. Great post! GIFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! IT MOVES!!! You need to teach me how to gif stuff in posts, I've been wondering.

    I'm actually getting more and more excited for NaNo...a whole new plot came to me the night we were talking about it, and i've completely switched stuff around. But you know what I realized? I'm SUPER excited to see how your "Great Ones" turns out. Like, no pressure or anything, but I really want you to hurry up on it so that I read (some if not all) of it. I'm hooked.

    Bombs away,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gifs are pretty much like pictures--I usually find the ones I use either on Pinterest, or I search google images for "doctor who gifs" or "kdrama gifs" or stuff like that. Then I click on the ones I like, wait for them to load (so that they're all moving and awesome) and then save them to my computer. Then you can upload them to your blogposts just like a normal picture and they'll continue to be all moving-y and such. It's that simple! :)

      Oh, I'm glad you're getting excited about NaNo!! We can be excited together! What's your new plot idea? (or is it a secret...hmmm... ;) ) Yeah...I can't wait to see how the great ones and the general turns out as well. I don't have much of an outlined plot, so it should be pretty wandering and loose--but I'm okay with that. I'll tighten it down AFTER NaNo is over. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts