...arrogant boy...

{“I make it a point not to ever be embarrassed. It impedes my inner potential.”
“Your inner potential to be annoying,” I muttered, still smiling.}
  

                              So apparently there are only 10 more days in NaNo.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK...

Actually, I'm rather content with how I'm doing. I'm at almost  10K, which is pretty decent, considering my schedule. I've actually been able to churn out approximately 700 words per day (ish), so I think I'll be able to make my feeble little goal of 15k. However, a friend of mine is coming into town for the next two days...which means not a lot of time to write, except in the evenings. But I'll figured something out. 

 {He rolled his window down, letting in a brisk breeze. I sucked in a sharp breath. “Shut that, would you?”

“Why? Fresh air is good for you, haven’t you heard?” He scowled at me. “Unlike some, I actually enjoy being outside and seeing the sun. Vampire.”
“I don’t sparkle,” I muttered.
“Heavens! Matthew made a pop culture reference! Wonders will never cease.”
“Sarcasm doesn’t suit you,” I said as I changed lanes, scowling a little as I did it.
“Says that guy who is never anything but sarcastic.”
“Just shut up, already."}


I also think that part of my contented-ness has to do with the fact that I'm actually still enjoying writing this story. Because I came into NaNo with absolutely NO PLAN whatsoever, I kinda just decided to take things at their own pace and not freak myself out. I didn't plan ahead, I didn't outline...I can just go wherever my creative muse leads me. Thus, I am not bored or sick of writing this story. I'm writing at my own pace, and I'm happy with that. 

{ 13 miles from Perimont, read the sign. Colt’s stomach let out a gnarly sound. “Oh, gosh,” he said, clutching his gut, “I need to eat. Can we stop?” 

    “We’re almost there.”
He adopted a shrill baby voice. “But I’m hungry, Matty…”
“I don’t listen to whiny four-year-olds. And don’t call me Matty.” I switched lanes again. “Just be patient.”
He thrashed around in his chair. “Sometimes, I really hate you, dude.”
“Love you too.”
“Hah. You’re hilarious.”}

I feel like I'm really getting know my characters--how they react to things, how they treat others, how they think and act under stress...it's a growing experience for the both of us. And my two main characters haven't even met each other for more than five minutes (and I don't really count that chance encounter that I really hadn't foreseen as them meeting each other...it was more of a temper tantrum on Sammy's part to begin with.) I'm still loving the bromance between my boys, and I can't wait to see how the chemistry changes when Sam is thrown into the mix. Yeah...that should be interesting.
 
( The wind was so frigid that my face ached like it was covered with paper cuts. I’d wrapped my scarf around Linds, all the way up to her nose, so she looked like a tiny Eskimo child, but I could still feel her shivering next to me.

“Where do you want to go?” I asked through my teeth chattering. “Florida? The Bahamas? Hawaii?” I smiled at her high-pitched giggle. We might homeless, freezing, and in a pickle, but still my little sister laughed when I tried to joke around. At least something was still normal…}


I'm happy that NaNo is almost over. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm ready to be able to write without feeling that nagging feeling within me... "if you don't write now, you won't be able to make it." Doing NaNo has given me the jumpstart back into writing that I needed, but I can't wait to write on my own schedule, with my own (slightly) looser goals. Overall? I'm excited to see where this goes--can't wait to get into the meat to the story. 
 

 {Quietly, I said, “I was like this before, if you would just remember.”
Colt shook his head. “No. The Matt you were then wasn’t comparable to you now. You smiled then. You talked. You weren’t moody and distant. You acted like a normal human.”
“I don't remember any of that.”
He turned away from me, but I could still see his emotionless face in the mirror. His eyes showed nothing, but his mouth twisted at the corner—soft with something I couldn’t identify. “Then maybe it’s not me who has the wrong memories,” he said softly. “Maybe it’s you.”}


{all excerpts from 'the great ones and the general,' by Ely S. Gyrate}

Comments

  1. So proud of you for keeping up with NaNo even with hectic life stuffs. Thou art a more courageous person than I. ;P

    As I think I've said before, I'm really excited about TGO&TG. I mean, I'm excited about The Girl Who Time Forgot and Seeker too, but right now, I'm on the edge of my seat wanting spoilers from the future product of 'The General.

    /o/ \o\ \o/

    books. yay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts