...in the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him...

so I went to see a movie last night.

it was a pretty amazing movie.

I would like to talk to you about said movie.

and that means it's time for some costume theatre.



*pulls on Nick Fury wig*

oh wait.


dang it.

I'm here to talk to you about Ender's Game.



I literally could not put my thoughts about this movie into words until now. I kept sputtering things like: "Amazing. Ohmigosh. Wut. Yesh. So good. Ohmigosh." I'm pretty sure neither me nor my father were making much sense last night (since he's as much of a fangirl as I am). And even now, when it's been a full 24 hours since I stepped out of the darkened theatre...I still don't know exactly where to start.

*inner muse whispers in ear* "You might try starting with Ender..."


Okay, whoever cast Asa Butterfield as Ender was a brilliant person. I applaud them. He was exactly the same as I'd imagined him, and he is a pretty amazing actor. I liked him as Mordred, and he did a good job in Hugo. He's definitely one of my favorite actors. I especially enjoyed the fact that I completely forgot that he was British while watching this movie. There were a few acting moments that I winced at, but I wasn't sure if that was because Asa was trying too hard to be Ender, or if it was just bad acting on his part. But I shan't go into that.

The plot was veeeeeeeeeeery good in staying close to the book. There wasn't anything really added in (from what I remembered), and my only real grievance is with the amount they had to cut out. I say 'had' because if they had kept in everything, the movie would have been amazingly long (which I wouldn't have had an issue with AT ALL.) This can be said for all book-to-movie adaptations, but I felt like that with Ender's Game, it was the most unfortunate. You literally met Ender, had him carted off to Battle School, had one battle, and then he was made the Dragon Commander. I understand why they cut most of his journey through Battle School out, but I wish they hadn't had to. 'twas unfortunate.

The other thing that they cut out had me scratching my head. Ender's twisted brother, Peter, appeared twice. And was mentioned maybe two other times. They left his character out almost entirely. They made references to "I can feel Peter in me," or "I feel like I'm turning into Peter," but if you hadn't read the book, you didn't understand exactly how much that means. I was a little disappointed concerning that.


My favorite characters (besides Ender) were Bonso and Bean. Bean was an adorable little launchie, and Bonso was brilliantly casted. The shower fight scene between him and Ender was well done, albeit a little short (which is understandable...seeing how it's a shower scene...) Alai was good, but I felt like you needed a bit more explanation about his and Ender's relationship. If you hadn't read the book, you might be a bit confused--why the heck are they speaking in Arabic? Did they get that close in, like, five minutes? Confused here! Petra...sigh. I was 100% expecting this, but Ender and Petra were almost a 'thing.' *shakes head* I liked Petra other than that, and I appreciated that they definitely didn't play it up as much as they had the potential to. That was a happy thing on my part. :)

eeesh...
Also--Harrison Ford as Graff. Brilliant.



I really just can't get over the brilliance of this movie...

I'm not going to go into technical things like CGI and dissecting the plot and acting and stuff because that's not my cup of tea. I'm just going to say one more thing.

Read the book.

If I could impress any one thing on you, that would be it. Ender's Game is such an unique book in how it gets so deep into Ender's head. There's no way you could capture how much torment and confusion he was in on a screen. No way on earth. Something that my dad said last night really stood out to me: "It's not a bad movie, but it's an even better movie if you read the book."

Now, if reading books isn't your thing, don't feel like you won't like or enjoy this movie. My little sister had never read it, and she loved it (but that may have something to do with the fact that she has a thing for Asa...we won't go into that...) If you like sci-fi, and can resist the urge to play connect the dots with Asa's freckles, I have a feeling you'll enjoy this movie.

I don't even know how to rate it. I don't like giving 5/5 stars because it's definitely not a flawless movie...(that one would've been 4 or more hours long and had a heck of a lot more of Peter and Valentine in it...) but I don't know what else to give it.

I'm just gonna go with: it's a good movie.

And that's all I have to say.

i need to stop using so many gifs...but it's so much fun...
Sorry if this is a bit random and doesn't make much sense...running on 5 hours of sleep here.I'm such an idiot for staying up late and then playing basketball all afternoon.

On a completely different subject: it's NOT a good idea to go see a movie on Hallowe'en--creepy commercials galore.

Yeah. I'm an idiot.

ttyl!
Ely

Comments

  1. I'm going to see this in a few hours...and then I will read this post. I read your intro though, so I have high hopes. I'm excited to fangirl about this with you...although I might just be stuck on rambling on and on about Butterfield and his American accent. :P

    EEEEEEEEEEE I'M SO HYPED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fangirls along with you* :) :) :) I'm actually going to see it again with a group of my friends instead of my family this time. :) Looking forward to it.

      Delete
    2. ...oh mannnn...I'm in a daze now over how much I seriously loved that movie...I just want to see it all over again.

      Also, Mekena and I should just have a fangirl fest over Asa. I've been having one by myself for the past five hours. It's pretty bad. :D Like, really, freakin' fangirl bad.

      I'll be reading the book soon. Definitely.

      Boy that was really great. Really really great. I just..................

      Delete
  2. I want to see this so so badly!!! If it is still in around Thanksgiving I plan to go then. It looks so amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts