soixante-huit

I just woke up.

No, seriously. I literally did just wake up.

You'd think I wouldn't be so exhausted after only being gone for less than 48 hours, but in the span of those hours, I've done so much I think I am allowed to sleep for 12 hours straight.

Why am I so tired?  My friends, over this weekend, I made the terrible journey to...Bible Quizzing Iowa Invitational Regionals.

*cues impending doom music*

Iowa and I have a love-hate relationship going on. I really love it, because when I go, I have lots of fun.  But I also really don't it, because...well...it's in Iowa. I've traveled from Missouri to Iowa many a time, and 5 and a half hours of sitting in the car with sometimes 9 other people is not my cup of tea. For an introvert, car trips are hard--there is no real place for you to escape to and recharge (unless you can commandeer the front seat), you are the definition of squished, and it's unbelievably loud. And then, when you get out of the car, you're hustled from car to hotel to church, then back again. You quiz from 7ish to sometimes midnight (trust me, I've done it...it ain't fun). When you get back to the hotel for the night, you get into bed and close your eyes for maybe 4 or 5 hours if you're lucky...and then it's back to the church for more quizzing!

Iowa is crazy stressful, but it's also crazy fun. I love Iowa because it's like the Nationals experience squished into two days--well, really one day--of quizzing. I get to see my friends from other states that I haven't gotten to see in nearly a year. I get to hang out with awesome people. I get to be crazy and slaphappy and not feel weird about it because everyone else is doing the same. And most of all--I get to quiz.

This last Iowa was potentially the last time we could quiz as this version of Squad. Depending on who's going to college next year, who decides to focus on school and other sports, or who is just plain done, our team could be completely changed next year. So as we quizzed, we quizzed with the realization that...this could be our last time as a team. We hope it won't be like that, but even so, it gave the experience a completely different feel.


If we do part and go our separate ways, we all know that not much is going to change. Some of my teammates are related to me--or my family has unofficially 'adopted' them. Some of them I've been quizzing with since I was twelve years old. And some of them are just the most amazing people that I will ever know. There's no way we could let all this teamwork and compatibility fade away. I know that, even if Squad changes next year, this Squad will be the one that I remember.

The tears, the laughter, the crazy cheers...it's all gonna stay with us forever. Honestly, the trophies and the points we've gained are nice, but when it comes down to it, I would trade them all, just for another 8 years of quizzing with these amazing people.


Soixante-huit, guys. Soixante-huit.


Comments

  1. Ahhhh, yes... Bible quizzing. I did that my freshman year. Painful and stressful, but fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? that's super cool! Did you do it with Bible Quiz Fellowship, or another organization?

      Delete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts