truth be told...

From a very young age, it was instilled into me that, for worshiping, hymns were best. Despite my family's wandering from church to church to find a place that suited us, that was the one common denominator--wherever we went, we sung hymns.

now, there's nothing wrong with singing contemporary worship songs in church. I'm not a huge fan, but there are a few songs that I do absolutely love (ahem...David Crowder's How He Loves...), and even the church that I attend now has a service once every month that is predominately contemporary worship. I just find it sad that, in some cases, worship has gone from six verses filled with majestic poetry to songs that, although they get the point across, aren't as wordy and beautiful. An example? Compare A Mighty Fortress is Our God to, say...Lord I'm Amazed. See how it's really kind of different?

I just wish we could find a delicate balance between the two very different realms of music--and in some cases, we have. How Great is Our God? That's probably the only Chris Tomlin song I can swallow. Also, Building 429's Where I Belong still stands as one of my favorite song ever. There are even some songs from Christian artists that are so good that I wish people would sing in church, like these beautiful songs.





this is just my personal opinion--other people that I know are the complete opposite. The light-hearted, soulful worship that goes with contemporary songs appeals to them, and I don't see anything wrong with that. But what's your opinion? Do you like the 'old-fashioned' way of worship, or do you prefer to take your church worship service with a spoonful of contemporary? I'd love to know! :)


Hope you all have a fantastic week!

Comments

  1. I feel the exact same way. As you might know, my family went to a Baptist church for several years, and we rarely sang hymns, just newer, contemporary worship songs. There are certain praise songs, like 'Jesus, Messiah', that I absolutely love. But I always find myself coming back to hymns as my favorite form of worship. My ones I like most are 'It is Well with My Soul' and 'Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross.'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts