"memories need to be shared."

this blogpost is waaaaaay overdue. like, I should've written it yesterday. Or Monday. Or maybe on Sunday, when I didn't have anything to do but lay on my bed and read books and watch TV. Yeah...maybe I should've done that then.

But I am Queen of Procrastination, and thus, this post has not gotten written yet.

Yet.

I am writing it now.

ok, maybe the heat did a little more than temporarily fry my phone and fried more than a little of my brain because I'm being really goofy and stupid. I guess I'm just happy right now. No idea why. (don't you love that--when you're just giddy and excited but you can't remember why because you're too giddy and excited to think straight? Yup, that's me right now).


Anyhoo...I saw The Giver on Saturday, and it was quite awesome. Actually, quite awesome doesn't sum it up very well. It was a very much a movie that made me think. It was also a very different movie from anything I'd seen for a long time. There was no big noisy showdown. There was no noticeably overwhelming character development (at least, I didn't notice much). There was barely a love triangle. And the ending left you thinking: "Was that really the end?" just like it did in the book.

the book.


I read The Giver about three years ago, and back then, I was strictly a dystopia hater (unlike now, when I tolerate them), so I didn't really like it much. Sure, it wasn't a bad book, but it just wasn't my thing. However, my dystopia hatred has softened, and when one of my best friends suggested seeing this movie together, I was all for it, except for one thing.

I couldn't remember the plot of the book whatsoever.

Even now, after seeing the movie, I'm still struggling to remember if the book and the movie were true to each other. The ending, obviously, I remember. I'm impressed they stepped out on a limb like that, leaving so many strings untied. Still, that means they're probably leaving it open for a sequel (just like the books! Fancy that!) 

I like this movie. The casting, the black and white shifting to color, the message...I enjoyed it a lot. I also enjoyed the fact that there was no language. At all. In fact, I was a little amused by the PG-13 rating...yes, some of the memories were a little violent, and the Releases might scare young ones, but I didn't think the rating fit. The Giver falls somewhere between PG and PG-13, in my humble opinion.

Like I said before, this movie provoked some thoughts on my part. One struck me as Jonas was finally starting to feel emotions and encountered the idea of love for the first time. "Do you love me?" He asked his family. His mother hurried told him to clarify his choice of words. "Do you mean 'do I enjoy you?' or 'Do I take pride in you?'" his father asked-answered. And that hit me really hard. I'm really lucky to have parents and family who love me, who really really love me. They are always there for me, and even when I feel like I'm a disgusting failure, they still want me around. So many other people in this world don't have that. They've only been sources of enjoyment or pride. And that's terrible. Everybody, at some point in their life, should at least have the privilege of being loved.


feelings play a huge part in this story. Injections take the emotions away, and the world is reduced to a cold, mannerly state of life. At first, being the person that I am, I thought "Hey, I could handle not having heartache and frustration and fear and all the other crap that comes along with being human." But as the movie progressed, and I saw just how much Jonas contrasted with the rest of his Community, I realized how vital emotions and feelings are to each individual person. One of my main bones to pick with this movie is how Asher, one of Jonas' best friends, was very undeveloped for the role he had to play. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized that his underdevelopment was because of the lack of emotion in his life. Yes, Asher was disturbed by Jonas and Fiona holding hands and doing things without him. Yes, he didn't understand why Jonas was acting so strange. But he didn't get angry. You didn't see him raging or pounding walls or even approaching Jonas and Fiona about it. He just had a look of discomfort and unhappiness on his face. And then, at the end, when Fiona asked him "Friends forever?" his discomfort returned, but you couldn't tell that it was guilt. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that life without emotions would suck. A lot. Your individual emotions make you who you are, and taking that away destroys so much of your personality. It was a beautiful thing, to compare how Jonas' dad treated the baby Gabe, and how Jonas himself treated the back (also the peekaboo scene with Gabe and Jonas is a perfectly good reason to go see this movie. Even you don't think you'll like it, go see it for that. It's adorably worth it.) Feelings make you alive. Emotions help you live.

What else could I say about The Giver? I'd give it 4.5 stars out of 5, mainly because I don't like perfect ratings. And I feel like Asher could've been developed just an eeeeeensy-weeensy bit more, despite his situation. And I  would totally go see it again--just for Gabe and his adorable smile.

Well, that and a few other things.


Comments

Popular Posts