more than a sarcastic voice

Step into my life for a moment.

I've been home for less than 5 days.

I've started school and Bible Quizzing once again.

God and I are figuring out my future and looking at colleges.

And I've been writing like a BEAST.



Usually, it takes a lot of effort for me to write every day. I forget, I get busy, I procrastinate...any and all of the above happen all the time. However, I've written every day for three days so far. And not just little bits. BIG portions. Big emotional portions. Matt is such a mess right now and it's breaking my heart. He is by far the character that I wish I could hug the most. My poor little baby...at least he has my special snowflake to help him right now (aka Colton...)

yes yes I love you you big dweeb
Matty is very near and dear to me...but today, I'm going to be talking about Sam.

Why?

Because she's a Beautiful Person.


1) What does your character regret the most in their life?
Sam regrets leaving her father and going with her mother when she was little. Even though the relationship was harmful, she still loves her father a lot and wishes she could see him again.

2) What is your character's happiest memory? Most sorrowful memory?
Her favourite memory is when Linds was born, on her 12th birthday. She'd almost given up on having a sibling, so a little sister was like a gift from heaven.
It's not exactly her most sorrowful memory, more like her most painful memory, but she likes it the least to remember the time when she couldn't talk.

3) What majorly gets on your character’s nerves?
Yippy purse dogs. A lack of loyalty. People who let their food touch. Matthew. The sound of someone clipping their fingernails.

4) Do they act differently when they're around people as opposed to being alone? If so, how?
Sam is a very shielded person, but she uses sarcasm, friendliness, and semi-flirtation as her shield. She can be very bubbly and friendly when around people, but when she's alone, she's very quiet and thoughtful. She is also that way with a choice few friends.

5) What are their beliefs and superstitions? (Examples: their religion or lack of one, conspiracy theories, throwing salt, fear of black cats.)
Sam is a Christian, so she doesn't really have many superstitions. She does joke about Matt being a wobbly pale vampire a lot. :)

6) What are their catchphrases, or things they say frequently?
Sam's favourite word is "Actually..." She loves proving people wrong. It's like a hobby.

7) Would they be more prone to facing fears or running from them?
I think Sammy would say she stands and faces her  fears, but that's because she's a flawed human being and ignores a whole lot about her personality. As the author, I'd say she runs from them while facing them. It's complicated.

8) Do they have a good self image?
If you're asking if she's confident in herself, then yes. Double yes. If I could sum Sam up in a single word, it would be "Confidence." That girl has guts and is sure of herself--and she's pretty confident in her looks, too.

9) Do they turn to people when they're upset, or do they isolate themselves?
She pulls away from most people, but as she gets to know Matt and Colt, she finds herself turning to them more and more, much to her embarrassment.

10) If they were standing next to you would it make you laugh or cry?
Eh....we'd probably rip out each others hair first or hug each other like we were long lost sisters. Because we kinda are. I wrote Sam's personality to be fairly similar to mine, so we'd either love or hate each other. So that really doesn't answer the question. But I don't care.

Sam is one of  those characters that I struggle to write. She's so snarky, which pleases me, but it's also really hard to pour into her anything but snarkiness. I want her to be as 3D as she can be, but if she's made out of sarcasm and nothing else, she's not going to make it. I'm almost happy that we don't meet her for a good little while after meeting Matt and Colt, because that gives me time to play with her voice and personality and actions. She's my Grand Experiment, I guess you could say.


Yup. Sammy Carpenter, the Grand Experiment. Has a nice ring to it.

Comments

  1. I love Sammy! She sounds awesome. Snarky characters are the best. They are hilarious, but they are always so much more than they first appear to be. Getting to know them throughout the book is the best part. :)

    I know what you mean though about having a hard time putting anything else into her on the page except snarkiness. I've this problem with snarky characters too. One makes a short appearance in Oddball, and I have an uncommitted contemporary project whose main character is nothing but snarky (though I think that's because that particular "project" seems to be more of a dumping site for my snarky days :P). Do you write from Sammy's POV? I've found that write at least a scene from a specific character's head sometimes helps me clear up my own misconceptions of that character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still making up my mind about writing from her POV...originally, I wanted it to be purely from Matt's point of view, but now that I'm looking more intently into the distance, I can see a few instances when I'm going to need to switch POVs. Probably just my three MCs--Matt, Colton, and Sammy. But still--a part of me wants to stick with the original plan. :)

      Delete
  2. I meant to comment earlier but I didn't know what to say.

    Sam is a very intriguing character. I like that her favorite word is "actually" because she likes to prove people wrong! XD And I think she's overall a beautiful person. She sounds pretty epic. I'm glad to have learned about her and wouldn't mind hearing more about her and the "wobbly pale vampire" :D (plus I like your choice of visuals)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam sounds like an interesting character. I'm feeling a little bit emotional about Matt right now, that's the trouble with Beautiful People it gives you feels for characters from books you've NOT EVEN READ!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts