just keeping running, just keep running, what do we do, we run run run

I just finished reading the Maze Runner, by James Dashner. It's taken me over a year to read this book.

And I'm really not sure what to make of it yet.


Now the over a year thing wasn't exactly my fault. I started reading it last summer, I believe, but had to return it quickly because it was in popular demand at the time. I read a little under half of it.

And then forgot about it.

I understand your looks of disapproval. I'm ashamed of myself.
here's the honest truth about me: if a book doesn't hold me at gunpoint and force me to finish it within 48 hours, I rarely go back and finish it. The few exceptions are The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green (le gasp! I know I'm speaking sacrilge, but it's a true story, bro), Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell, and Allegiant, by Veronica Roth. All three of those books took me months to get through, and for no particular reason at all. I just couldn't force myself to speed through them. Even now, I have two books--Gone, by Michael Grant, and Champion, by Marie Lu--that I've started but probably won't finish before I need to return them to the library. Call it a disease. Or a bad habit.

So what made me finish reading the Maze Runner?

Well, to be straight-forward, the movie is coming out in less than two weeks. And I desperately want to see this movie. Partially because the trailer is so intense and awesome and looks so cool, and partially because I'm going to spend all 113 minutes staring at the screen and saying with pride, "That's my special snowflake up there, being all awesome and saving the world--wait, that's Thomas, not Colt..."

I have a very hard time accepting the fact that Dylan O'Brien exists and that Colton does not.

one and the same, I tell you.
yup. No lie.
Annnnnyhooo, I picked up this book again when my friend texted me saying we needed to see it as soon as it came out. My general rule of thumb is that I should read the book before seeing the movie; not because I want to be superior to everybody who hasn't read it, but mostly because I like to see the whole story, especially the parts that don't make it in. I can't appreciate a movie to its fullest without experiencing the book first. It just doesn't happen.

I liked the Maze Runner. I really did. I liked the whole premise of it, the unique cast of characters, and the setting was brilliant. The Maze fascinated me, and I wish I hadn't seen the trailer for the movie before I got to the Grievers, because I really wanted to be able to picture them as the book described them, without any exterior aide. I especially loved everybody's names and the meaning behind them. All except for Minho. I'm sorry, I can't picture Minho as anybody but this dork. Tru fact.
I mean, he looks perfect for the character. But Choi Minho will always come to mind when I see his name.
I also didn't like the Maze Runner. I really didn't. I figured out the end about halfway through, I saw the Griever's Box coming from miles away, and Gally's disappearance...yeah. Kinda called that. I really hate it when I can guess the plot of a book that I really want to like. And I'm not saying that the Maze Runner is a bad book because it's a tad bit predictable. I'm just saying I don't like it because I kind of spoiled it for myself. There wasn't a giant surprise. There wasn't something that made me raise my eyebrows in shock.

Except for Chuck at the end. I'm dreading that part in the movie. Don't want to have to relive that... *cries a million tears*


I have a feeling I'm going to like the movie better than the book (and that probably has something to do with my Colt/Thomas issues). I am going to give The Scorch Trials a shot, because the Scorch kind of intrigued me, though it is just another trope of a dystopia style book. But I'll get through that. Hopefully.

Overall, I'm stuck halfway between liking the Maze Runner and really really NOT liking it. And I can't make up my mind which it is.

So how about you read it and tell me what you think about below? Hmm? Would you do that for me?

It's the start of a brand new week, everybody! Hope you have a good one!

Comments

  1. Ahh! I can't believe you don't like Minho! He was one of my many favorites. :) And chuck, losing chuck was heart breaking. :'( I liked the maze runner even though it was pretty predictable I liked the different characters and the book was flat out intense!. Have you read the maze runner or the two books that come after it as-well? I'm book obsessed, but i get the whole story jammed into one big mess in my head and can rarely separate everything into each book. :P Also I mention this because I was going to say something and then realized it's probably a spoiler to anyone who hasn't read the other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I do like Minho! He's actually one of my favourite characters; however, I have a hard time picturing him as anyone but the Minho I'm already familiar with. I'm actually really curious who he was named after...

      I have the Scorch Trials on a shelf ready to read. Whether that will be next week or next month or next year, I don't know. But I am going to read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh oh I REALLY loved The Maze Runner! I only just read it too, though! (I'm such a slacker, and I still haven't picked up book #2, but it's on my to-do list. Hehe. My endless to-do list.) I really wanted to read it mostly for the movie. I'M SO FREAKISHLY EXCITED ABOUT THE MOVIE! It has so many awesome actors that I'm sort of *cough* swooning over, plus the scenery look brilliant and...and....I'm just very keen. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts