the return of the sassy vegetable

don't you love it when something just clicks into place and then suddenly your plot makes so so so so so so so so so so so much more sense?

I do.

you see, I have a problem. (actually, I have lots of problems, just ask my doctor, but that's not the point.) I'm terrible at 1) timelines, and b) mapping. (see, I couldn't even narrow it down to one problem). With the great ones and the general, that's a big frustration for me. Since my characters are obviously fictional, I thought fictional pit-stops were my best bet--since I obviously haven't roadtripped the West Coast it made sense to let my imagination take control. I also went with the mucho lameo graduation excuse for a roadtrip--can I get a CLICHE from the audience?


the toughest part about being a writer (aside from the whole writer's block and editing and plot holes thing) is that you get frustrated with yourself and your lack of answers. Yes, you know you have a problem? Do you know how to solve said problem?

Noooooooooope.


Ladies, gentlemen, and cute woodland creatures, the rarest moment of all has come. I, Ely, have solved my own problem with my clever little brain, lack of sleep, and a pinball machine (my new pain meds might have something to do with it to, but let's not think about that...)

HQ for my little great ones was always kinda wishy-washy. At one time, it was in Kansas. At another, it was in Illinois. Yet another time it was Wyoming (yeah...that didn't make sense to me either). Finally, I just threw up my hands in disgust and left that a mystery.


Which, of course, frustrated me. To have an destination I needed a starting place.

The destination always has been and always will be Seattle. For multiple reasons, I dread Seattle (seriously...I don't know how I'm going to write that part). But I also need Seattle, and I love Seattle. So much is going to happen, so many things are going to go down. If everything goes according to the new plan, my characters are going to quite possibly the most AWESOME museum ever. And, if I ever get my act together, I'm gonna go there too because it looks totally awesome.




So this afternoon, my mother and I were talking about my summer job--since I'm currently pretty much a vegetable (a sassy one, but a vegetable none the less) the idea of me working is a tough one to comprehend. Still--I need to earn money (and do something besides sit on the couch and watch Warehouse 13 and korean dramas). And my mother, being the thoughtful person she is, suggested finishing my book and self-publishing it.

Oh, mother. What an uninformed genius you are. That's a great idea. One I've pondered many times. And it's totally doable.

In theory.

In order to do so, I'd have to finish writing. And then I'd have to edit. A LOT. And then I'd edit some more. And write more. And take indefinite breaks. And then the whole publishing process can't be easy. So...that wouldn't work. Even though it would be quite ideal--working from home, doing something I love...it would be perfect.

And that made me think: what can it hurt? I'm up til the wee hours of the morning most nights with all this pain crap, I might as well put that time to use.

So I hit the books.

Er, the laptop. And I hit it very gently. And by it I mean the keyboard. And by hit I meant typed.

However, when I last left my lovely characters, they'd just encountered an ominous pinball machine, a man with unbelievably perfect hair, and Matt had a migraine.

And I got distracted by the pinball machine.

Did you know there's a Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas? (of course, if you follow my twitter you know because I'm a considerate soul like that). I did not. I also didn't know about the other random halls of fame in the western side of the US of A.

Needless to say, I got distracted is an understatement. I think I got lost after writing maybe 300 words. (but they were sassy words so it's all okay).

But I now have a starting place. I now have an iternary. And Matt and Colt now have another quirk that makes me love them even more.


I wish I could say more, but honestly I don't know more. And it's 11:30 at night when I'm writing this. So I should go to bed. But I was happy I solved my problem, that I answered my own question--without any help.

well, techinically the pinball machine wouldn't have happened without Shea telling me to write about Brendan Urie's perfect hair  but still...


besides, I've neglected you all again. Fear not--the school year is almost at its end. And like I said, I am currently a sassy vegetable, so I have no excuse for not blogging. Unless my fingers fall off. That would be exciting.

so see you all on the other side of finals! love you all for putting up with my sleepless and potentially drug induced randomosity! you're the best!

Comments

  1. The great ones!! Yes! I'm so excited that you plan on editing/publishing during the summer. I can't wait.

    Good luck with the writing! Can't wait to hear more about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss I love it when that happens!
    But PLEASE SELF PUBLISH THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

    And if you ever need novel help, I suck at giving advice but feel free to message me. and I will try to respond at a reasonable time. lol.
    but yes! Work hard and write that novel girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts