the robot reads

books make me cry.

I'll admit it. I'm no longer the stone-hearted reader I was five years ago. I'm well on my way to being a softie. This didn't happen recently, although the past six months have had a huge influence on me, but books have grown to mean a lot more to me over the last two years.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/40/a6/ce/40a6ce58bdfbf8249741a18193a8e826.jpg

also, if you want to throw a book at me, I will definitely cry. Whether it be for my sake or the book's, I do not know. (what the heck, past me...you make no sense? just how late were you up???)

just saying.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0d/cc/6b/0dcc6b2dd2130b35569414ef64728245.gif


so what does it take to make me cry over a few hundred pages? characters. gimme strong characters, weak ones, unreliable narrators...shove them into my life and watch them eat away at my heart (in an entirely non-gory type of way). Compelling plot. Sketch a beautiful story for me, and I won't be able to escape it. I will also have a week of hiding in the closet quivering because my writing will never live up to that. It's inevitable. And if you use imagery or prose or thoughts that somehow resonate with me, tears are guaranteed.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/42/9d/9c/429d9c2056692a45a6ab7520e14c85e5.gif

Just don't except anything deep, because I got emotional over Uglies' first line because of how freaking amazing it is. And honestly--cat throw up skies are a thing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/26/42/7a/26427aebcd5f0ced75aa75129d9bdd54.jpg

now, those are just some general ideas of what affects. what about books? it's one thing to get choked up over a simple sentence, but what about a whole book turning you into a leaky faucet? that's saying something.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/e7/d5/2be7d58d0f39ff6b585c9e4924fc91b3.gif

the first book that comes to mind when I think about emotional books is Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock. Just seeing the cover makes me cry on the inside. I can't remember if I reviewed this book or not. I read it last year, and we definitely had a love/hate relationship. I hated the first fifty pages. Leonard and I just didn't jive. I'm pretty sure it sat on my TBR pile for a month, at least. Then I picked it up on a rainy afternoon and bawled my eyes out.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/97/ee/21/97ee21547a27866a22f86dba9e822ed3.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3a/73/34/3a7334cc49a4b5aa1efdfb31f8aa773a.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/91/c8/d4/91c8d498497425a332da535094ac14c0.jpg


what about Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock made me so doggone emotional?

you don't know what's going to happen.
you don't know what Leonard's going to choose.
you hate his mother so freaking much.
you're emotional invested in old movie lines and hats and what's under a teacher's sleeves.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b5/46/82/b54682db776f3d5985d77e4d6e066694.gif

it's that kind of book.

another book that mentally broke me for like two days was We Were Liars. Literally broke my heart. Plus, that is one interesting read. Mystery, romance, contemporary, sadness...never ending sadness... and the prose. Oh the prose. The format and tone of the novel is something to cherish, because a book this amazingly written is hard to find twice.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ba/12/c1/ba12c1d31995c05d5452622a1151607b.jpg

basically, books with unreliable narrators turn me into an emotional mess. shocker there.

as always, Challenger Deep makes the list. however, one book that caused me much emotion that I haven't blogged about is It's Kind of a Funny Story. This book spoke to me a lot last summer. I read it around the same time as I finally buckled down and read The Perks of Being a Wallflower (which you can read about HERE). This is one book that I never bought but really probably should because it's so relatable. Craig didn't have a reason for his depression or his suicidal thoughts. they just happened. A lot of times, when I settled into a depression, I have no clue why I'm feeling so down or upset. I don't know what set it off. It doesn't makes sense. After he considered suicide, he did something about it. A lot of people experience this kind of thing and then do nothing about it. He, on the other hand, realized that what was happening wasn't good and called someone. He went to the hospital. He realized what would happen if he continued down this path, but instead of letting that happen, he did something to change his way. That made me so proud of him. The sad thing is that the author himself ended his life just recently. It shows that we can know how to save ourselves, we can have the tools right in front of us...but unless we do something with those tools...we have little to no shot. I also love this book because it really portrays that people with mental illness are lives too. They have stories. They have dreams. They can be funny. They have lives too.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/09/75/b709758b73ab59c930a28cf9f1f349ee.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/7e/51/797e512330de0890a5b0c02dd89c55b7.jpg

if you haven't read this book, do it. please.

finally, the book that made cry the most to this day is probably After. Oh oh oh. I know I blogged about this book last year, but when it comes to jerking out my tears, it surely takes the proverbial cake. I just want to give Devon a big hug. Along with making me sob like a baby, it raises a lot of heart-breaking questions. Why do people choose to unsee what's ugly in their lives? Who is to blame in that huge mess? Was Devon right to plead guilty? Why do "bad" things happen to "good" people?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/1a/cf/ae1acf2c62adaf1f6decdd70adc77e92.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/bc/22/5bbc22df2ba5f8dd5ea26bfbb5340adf.jpg

this book gives me a bunch of feels, okay?

once again, the unreliable narrator strikes again. I must have a weakness for them. I guess there's a reason why Matt is my favourite main character I've ever written. That kiddo is so screwed around by his grief and hurt that he truly believes the world hates him. I definitely have a soft-spot for him adn those like him. My little sweethearts.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/46/ca/32/46ca32c21d37b6f6f099067858d1edde.gif

Do books make you cry too, or am I just a big softie now? Do you crave strong yet unreliable narrators like I do? Do the feels give you as much pain as they do me?

have a good weekend, you wonderful people!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/5a/69/ca5a6920630690f6c5bc20b9d2218539.gif

  • currently enjoying: throne of glass ~ echosmith ~ ink pens ~ sleep ~ spending hours at the library ~chocolate icing and gluten free pretzels ~ the freaking sky

Comments

  1. I would definitely agree -- I used to never cry over books, but lately I've become a big mushy softie which is vaguely embarrassing but oh well. So now I seek out books with alllllllll the pain because I...like crying over books? I don't know. I have a hard time crying over real-life things so it makes me feel like a human being with emotions. xD (And I saw that you enjoy Challenger Deep and that is my favorite book /ever/ in the history of all books so that wins you major points in my book.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books that make me emotional for the same reason--it helps me see real life situations where I need to put forth emotion...sometimes I don't just see the need. And books help me with that.

      (challenger deep is amazing and precious and I cannot love enough).

      Delete
  2. I've definitely had books make me cry. It's harder for me I guess, but two that made me cry semi-recently is Singularity by Steven James and Failstate: Nemesis by John W. Otte. So. Many. Feels. So beautiful.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read either of those, but I shall have to check them out--books that invoke emotion in others are always worth checking out!

      Delete
    2. Do check them out! They need more love haha.

      Delete
  3. I cry more over books than movies, I guess it's sometimes because you get to be inside a character's head and if you can relate to them. They can break you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually cry more over movies, but I can see what you mean. When I cry over books, it hurts a lot more than a movie. Movies, most of the time I cry because I'm watching others cry and I'm a sort of sympathetic cryer.

      Delete
  4. I used to not cry over books either, then i read one where a character unexpectedly died and I cried for half an hour. since then I've been more emotional. But the one which rips my heart out to even just look at the title or think about is Code Name Verity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude...I need to finish that book. I started it last year and I just got busy and never finished it. I've heard about the feels though. Definitely sounds like a killer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts