books books books || july tbr

I've been trying to write this post for over a week.

the universe just really didn't want me writing this TBR post, I guess. well, you know what, universe? I DEFY YOU.


so what did I read this month? I think I did a pretty decent job keeping up with my books in June, although my goodreads doesn't reflect it at all. I'm fairly sure I've read about 65 books this year...but I just never remember to actually mark them. whoops. one thing I wish I could change about June is the amount of non-fiction I read. I originally wanted to read several non-fiction books, some for fun and some for my writing...and the only ones I read were autobiographies/memoirs. *sigh* maybe in August.

+ june recap +


In the past five years, I haven't really had any strong female role models, outside of my family or in pop culture. I'm glad to say that's changed. I love these two books, just like I love these two women and the characters they play. it was really interesting to see the world through such talented actors and creators, and I'm definitely going to buy these books in the near future. I can't choose which was my favourite, because that's like asking me to choose between Mindy Kaling and Amy Poehler, and I CAN'T DO THAT.


I find it really funny that when I first read any of Maas' books, I really didn't like them, and now I own all but one of her released books. something about these stories and characters takes me back to the fantasy that I read when I was younger, when I was really into fantasy. the Throne of Glass series are fantastic and I'm just finishing up Queen of Shadows. ACOTAR and ACOMAF were different, but really really good. definitely more graphic, both violence-wise and sexually, but the characters were amazing and the story line, although not unlike anything I've ever read, was enough to keep me reading despite the other things. also, can I give Rhys a hug, like, right now? because my poor child needs all the love he can get.


oh man. I loved Althea and Oliver. made me sad like Perks of Being a Wallflower, made me smile like Perks of Being a Wallflower. I also really related to Oliver--not knowing what's wrong with you is rough. you feel like there's no hope or future, and when they finally do figure out what's going on with your body, and there's no real treatment or cure, it can feel like you've taken a step back instead of forward. and although my response to the lithium was "OH MY GOSH WHY," I see why he chose what he chose. I mean, when I started averaging a 8 out of 10 on the pain scale last year, I had to choose between a life of pain and depression and a drug that no one really understands why it treats my illness AND that comes with a bucket load of side effects. just like Oliver, I had to choose between the prospect of never getting the real me back and a treatment that might not have worked. I also connected with Althea and the way she didn't really know what she wanted until she did, although there were definite times for both characters where I was like "YOU IDIOTS. WHY." (I did a lot of inner screaming while reading this book, even though I really loved it). definitely an interesting read, and I would recommend it fairly highly, although I do think you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it.


I was kinda 'ehhhh' about this book when I picked it up, but I had heard really good things, so I decided to give it a shot. amazingly, I really liked it. it was funny, the characters and premise were interesting, and I'm waiting for book two to arrive at my library. I think I read it in about a day? and this book was so good that I'm going to give it to my 14 year old brother to read, because I think it's right up his alley.


sooooo...this was on my June tbr and I definitely didn't finish it. not because I didn't like it, but because I just didn't feel pulled into the story. which sucks, because I really loved this author in her Birthmarked trilogy. maybe I'll give it another shot, but I'm thinking I'll probably just let it stick to the DNF shelf.


+ july tbr +
 
this book has been on my shelf for ages, and it's crying shame that I haven't read it yet. Matthew Quick is another of my favourite authors (if you haven't read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, please do yourself a favour and read it NOW), but every time I started a new book, I forgot about this one. that's why it's on the top of my TBR list for July. I also need to read Catcher in the Rye because apparently that's what this book is kind of about. also, I need to reread Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock because reasons.


also on the list of "books I should have read by now but still haven't." starting to see a trend here. can you believe I haven't finished The Raven King? I'm about halfway through, and once again, my lovely habit of being unable to finish any real good series is coming into play. I am going to finish it, though. *sighs* and The Rose and the Dagger...well, let's just say it's been too long since I read the first book, so I need to refresh myself on the story, especially since I read book one when I was pretty sick. but I can't get over how pretty these books look together. SO GORGEOUS.


this book as well--LOOK HOW PRETTY IT IS. and the colors just look so gorgeous with my wall-thingy that  my dad gave me from his time spent in Asia. I am super pumped to read this book. I would have read it in June, but I told myself I had to finish The Raven King first...which I didn't. whoops.


dude, I love all these books and I'm not sure which to read first. My Lady Jane sounds weird and awesome and just the right mix of history but not, Zebulon Finch is frickin' huge and beautiful, and I have a feeling This is the Part Where You Laugh might make me cry. just a hunch.


my current read! I finally got my hands on Queen of Shadows, which I've been waiting to read for about a month. and yes, it's as good as the rest of them. very excited for Empire of Storms--and for Queen of Shadows to be in paperback so I can finally buy a copy. not gonna do what I did with ACOTAR and ACOMAF and end up buying mismatched copies. *facepalm*

what are you guys planning on reading this month? have you read any of what's on my lists? how'd you feel about them?

just no spoilers, guys!


have a great weekend!

byyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comments

  1. I tried Sarah Maas's books way back before they were hugely popular aaaand I wasn't too crazy about them. I don't remember hating them but they just didn't click with me either. Might try them again, might not lol. Cause those are a LOT of books.

    There's a non-fiction I've been wanting to read forever called #GirlBoss. It's about a woman who worked her way up from a small online store to being the CEO of a huge company and it sounds smart and sarcastic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, they didn't click with me either at first. there are still parts of them that bother me, but overall, I liked them well enough to want to buy them. the first book is definitely my least favourite though. yeah, there are SO MANY--and they're all huge.

      oooh I've read about that book! it popped up in my suggested feed after searching for Yes Please on Amazon, lol. I have a feeling when I feel the need for another non-fiction, that or Bossypants will be my next stop.

      Delete
  2. All the books, you have so many good ones. I am dying to read ACOMF because Rhysand of course. I recently read the Raven King and now I am so sad that it's over.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts