the books of my childhood

I've been have a TON of book nostalgia this week. like, I'll see something that reminds me of the books or series that I read when I was a little munchkin, or I'll walk by the bookshelf and see the worn spines that I love so much, and the nostalgia hits real hard.

just happily rolling along and then BAM--hit by a truck of feels.

is it weird to miss books? and not just miss the book itself, but also miss the person you were when you read that book? when I see these books, I'll suddenly remember how old I was, or that this was the first YA book I ever read, or how the book really made me feel something that I'd never felt before--and I never stopped feeling since then.


the nostalgia feels also revealed something else to me--my taste in reading has changed. or at least, the books I read now are very different than the books I read back in the day. which is kind of funny, because some of the books I read as a young child were a lot harder to read than some of the YA that I pick off the shelves from the library. probably because they were mostly older books, with a lot of British authors and such. this is the main reason why my brain automatically spells things the British way--favourite, colour, neighbour. I didn't even know I spelled these words the "wrong" way until I got to college. whoops.

ft. incomplete bookstagram pictures because I fail at life


ballet & theatre shoes

they didn't have ballet shoes at the library...or the old editions I used to read...man I feel old.

oh man. just thinking about this book makes me happy and sad at the same time. Pauline, Petrova, and Posy Fossil were incredible, and even though I stopped ballet at a very young age, the dance/stage aspect of it fascinated me. the story of these three adopted sisters--who didn't share a drop of blood, but were sisters all the same--as they are just babies, brought home by their Great Uncle Matthew, to the point where they are all grown up and finding their paths in the world, inspired me. as a girl who read a lot of fantasy as a kid, this book was historical and about dreadfully "ordinary" people. and I loved it.

also, Emma Watson plays Pauline perfectly in the movie.

I actually forgot about Theatre Shoes until I went to take pictures of Ballet Shoes, but I think I liked it even more. Once again, a batch of orphans, thrust onto the stage so that they could have some sort of future. and even though it's fairly similar to Ballet Shoes, the characters are just as strong and interesting.

the wolves of willoughby chase chronicles
 

behold, the instigator of my love for weird and zany books. giant birds? we got 'em. witches? we got 'em. children being kidnapped and brainwashed and made to work in coal mines? got 'em. we've even got whales, mindspeaking, and lots of bombs and Hanoverian plots. gosh I love this series. Every character is amazing, and I love that, although there are definitely "main" characters, the stories shift over several narrators without being awkward or choppy. pretty sure Simon was my first ever serious fictional crush, because who doesn't love a guy who lives with geese and is a totally adorkable duke. Dido Twite was an inspiration to me, and by golly, I'm still mad that we don't get to see her and Simon get together. *cries because the Witch of Clatteringshaws* her sassy ingenuity really developed my strong love for zany, unique characters. I remember feeling so dissatisfied with what I thought was the ending, with Dido and Pa, so you can imagine my elation at the discovery of the last five books hiding in the YA section--to this day, Is Underground is one of my favourite books, because it blows my mind. I love how Wikipedia describes the series: "these books take place in an alternative history version of the 19th century and have elements of steampunk and magical realism." does that not scream READ ME READ ME READ ME? if I had to pick a favourite series out of ever that still fascinates me and that inspired me to write, the wolf chronicles would definitely win. just by writing this little blurb, I feel like I'm eight years old again and suddenly realizing that this amazing woman, this amazing author, passed away. IT HURTS, MAN.

#12yearswithoutmyfavouriteauthor

also, my library has the whole series in hardback, but they are IMPOSSIBLE to find at a decent price. *cries for forever* (edit: oh my gosh--I found about half of them in hardback on thriftbooks for under $20...now to hunt down the missing ones...)


rosemary sutcliffe


I am very much a history nerd, and these books are the reason why. well, not really. but Rosemary Sutcliffe is by far my favourite historical fiction writer, because most of her books focused on the eras of the Roman invasion, Vikings, or the British captivity, which are my favourite periods in  history. Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, and The Lantern Bearers, as well as The Mark of the Horse Lord (which might be the very first book I threw across the room because of the ending--DEATH. MUCH DEATH) and Sword Song were all well-read books by me and my older brother (the original history nerd. I merely followed his big footsteps). I liked how she followed the Aquila family through most of her books, without making them obviously a series. Her King Arthur books were really good as well, because they told the legend without embellishing a lot. They were simple, but elegant.


the mcgurk mysteries 

this was literally the only one they had at the library!! and it's like the worst one!! *sad face*

here we have the very not historical, very not British part of my childhood. I loved a good mystery. still do, but I have a soft spot for this intelligent pompous ginger boy, who solved even the most ridiculous cases (I mean, seriously, the Phantom Frog was ridiculous.) I loved his gang of friends too, especially Joey. McGurk was strong main character, which is why having Joey as the narrator was so cool to me. little did I know that that was a shout-out to Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. The fantasy spin-offs were my favourites, I think, mostly because I remember them best--time travelling detectives, man. The Weeping Witch also started my strong love for Hester Bidgood, about whom E.W. Hildick wrote a stand-alone. this is a series that I will hand to my niece and my children and say "READ." because they are fantastic.

why reading is literally the best

the leviathan trilogy

this is less my childhood and more my very first adventure into YA. Leviathan was a book that my older brother (the history nerd) recommended me, and when I found out that it was steampunk, I was baffled, because I didn't know what that meant (although, now that I think about how the wolves books were borderline steampunk, it all makes sense). I fell in love with Deryn and Alek, and the retelling of World War I but with Clankers and Darwinists. this is still one of my favourite trilogies, and I reread Goliath the other day, because I had some major Dalek feels (best ship name ever).


louisa may alcott

believe it or not, I am a big Louisa May Alcott fan. the first ever book that made me want to write--and I remember this because I basically copied the entire plot in the book I wrote at the age of twelve--was Under the Lilacs. I still have that book on my shelf, because it's sentimental to me. I also loved Little Women, Little Men (I LOVED Little Men. I read my grandmothers copy of Little Men to pieces), and Jo's Boys (also read this one to pieces). Rose in Bloom, although different, was adorable, and I loved it equally. I haven't read many classics (or at least the conventional ones--Cold Shoulder Road is definitely a classic, right up there with Dido and Pa), but the classics written by Louisa May Alcott are still some of my favourites.

idk how this gif applies but it's just great

my side of the mountain

oh my. I'd forgotten this one until I saw the movie on Netflix last night. did you as a child have dreams of running away? I did. especially on the nights before we had dentist appointments. I had it all planned out--I was going to run away and live in a tree, just like Sam did. everything about this book was amazing--from the detail to the drawings to the peregrine falcons. and the best part of it all was that it seemed totally doable--it didn't seem awkward or fake or cheesy. every little bit of it seemed realistic; at least, realistic enough to convince nine year old me that I could live on acorns and fish in the wilderness.

probably not the greatest idea

dragon's gate


yo. it's been YEARS since I thought of this book, but the moment I found it on one of my library lists, I did a dance for joy--the history nerd within me lives! this is part of a series, but this was by far the best book. it follows a Chinese immigrant who came over to work on the trans-continental railroad with his uncle and father. It's a bleak depiction of the struggles and prejudices that immigrants go through, as well as the harsh world that railroad workers live in. Dragon's Gate also holds one of my favourite bromances ever--Otter and Sean really made me think about friendships and racial differences at a very young age.

I love this book so much and I'm ashamed I ever forgot about it.

all things bright and beautiful

oh, James Herriot, you are a gem. I lowkey want to read this book (and the rest of the series) all over again, because it's been at least six years or so. my dad is a small animal veterinarian, so getting to see the life of a farming vet was a whole new world to me. James Herriot is also a hilarious author, because his anecdotes are genuine and the people leap off the pages at you. as long as you aren't squeamish, this book and its companions are so so great.

basically James Herriot at some point in his books, I'm sure

castaways of the flying dutchmen


want to sum up a hefty portion of my childhood? read all the books Brian Jacques wrote, and you've covered more than half of my life, basically. I devoured Redwall (yet another series that inspired me to write...maybe a little too much. *thinks back to my very first fantasy series and winces*), and when I got older, I fell in love with the Castaways of the Flying Dutchmen and the follow up books. these books still make me cry. and then when I remember that Brian Jacques passed away and there won't be any more, I cry even harder.



I'm going to stop there, even though there about ten more prominent books/series in my head right now, and I haven't even asked my mom what I'm forgetting, but if you haven't read these books, make sure you do. (at least read the wolves books. they're amazing. #teamDidoandSimon ) although I love YA and the progress in fiction that has occurred over the years, I consider many of these books the best books I will ever read. they're classy, they're funny, and they're unique. and they formed my childhood.

which, considering Joan Aiken's writing, is rather terrifying.

seriously--I kind of think of her as the Maggie Stiefvater of that era

what are some of the books that you read growing up? do you have a soft spot for some random series that literally no one has heard about (I feel like a lot of the books I read as a kid are kinda unknown--especially now).

hope y'all have a great weekend!

I'll be cuddling my kitty then driving off to Chicago!

Comments

  1. Im pretty sure my sister read My Side Of The Mountain. either that or I got it from the library and never read. or maybe I did read it?? honestly Im not sure but I vaguely remember talking to someone about it.

    as for books from my childhood....well....I didnt read as a kid. gasp, I know. but really, I only read the Magic Tree House books. Star Wars was the thing that got me reading. so pretty much I only read SW books growing up. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star Wars books were a good part of my childhood as well. my brothers were hooked on the Jedi Apprentice series, so we read those a lot. :)

      Delete
  2. I miss the books I used to read, and the person. I miss her more.

    I haven't read any of these, but I want to they all sound exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to claim all responsibility for the books on this list. Ok not Leviathan series (which I've never read btw) but the rest I'm pretty sure I handed to you or your brother and then you stole from him. As for more books? Think dragons and I think you remember a few series that you've not mentioned. Maybe they are on that other list. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I really didn't dig into the fantasy side of my life...maybe next time.

      you haven't read Leviathan? How dare you, mother! *gasps*

      Delete
  4. I LOVE BALLET SHOES, LITTLE WOMEN AND EAGLE OF THE NINTH. Sutcliffe was soooo good, I should return to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sutcliffe satisfies my desire for excellent historical fiction. she just writes in such a detailed and lively way that nothing else can compare. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

the best way to make me smile is to comment. or to send me a basket full of kittens and dark chocolate. whatever works for you.

Popular Posts